Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Gender, Species Help newbie Midas/Red Devil

Philzer
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Posts: 6 Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee U.S.A.
Hello everyone!

My name is Phil Thach. I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee U.S.A. I'm new here. I have a 125 Gallon tank with 3 of these fish and one 10 inch Plec.

A friend bought some fish from PetCo that were labeled "Midas Cichlid". One of his fish is mostly white with some orange and it has the lump on it's head. His others are all orange and much smaller with no lump.

In time, his fish bred in the 55 gallon tank. When the fry were large enough to eat flake food he gave me 4 of them. I kept them in a 29 gallon tank for a little while and decided that would be much to small so I bought a used 125 for them.They are now 14 months old.

One of mine jumped out of the tank last week and I was unable to save it. I have covered the top of my tank better so jumped out should be a problem any more. It was the largest of my four. Probably 4.5 inches long. It was the first to change from stripes to orange and it was the orangest of the four. It's top and bottom fins came to a very distint point in the back.

This photo is of the next largest. It's around 4 inches long. It is still alive and well. No points on the back of it's fins. I wonder if this is a Midas or a Red Devil or a cross breed. And I wonder if I have a male or a female here.

The other two are smaller. One is probably 3.5 inches and the smallest, a runt I suppose it 2.75 inches long.

Any help would be apprecieted.

Phil
Philzer
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Here's a picture of the medium and small fish I have..

And here is a shot of the mouth of the medium sized fish that might help you experts determine the species.

Phil
Ozzy
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
The first one looks like a mmix the others look Midas Cool

Are they really 14 months old? they look alot younger Confused

as for gender, give them some time
sebastian
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
i go with ozzy ,only thing that's ointeresting is the age of these fishes my 15 month midas was 8,5 inch your midas are very small as on this age give them more food Wink

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I fed them flakes for a long time. To long. This is my first experience with large cichlids. I have had aquariums in the past but I always kept small tetras and such. My friend still has 15 or so of his fry and he says they are bigger than mine. They have been on pellets much longer than mine.

They were hatched in November of 2004.
Toerag
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
Try frozen beefheart...you have a labiatum and a mix I think...I'm usually pretty good at identifying...but it's really getting harder these days...I have pics of everythng though if you want to email me...buzz52tr@yahoo.com
(of my fish)...I have some of everything
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
The first one looks Midas to me the other two look like a labiatum mix to me Confused
Pei
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 25
If didn't get the fish from reputable breeders, the fish being pure breed will be small. As for sexing, the first one looks male to me base on the vent (tube size and shape.) I could be wrong.
Philzer
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone.

The interesting thing is they are all from the same batch of fry and they look alot different in size and shape. I'm glad someone noticed the vent on the first fish. I was wrong it's probably more like 5.5 inches long than the 4.5 I originally posted.

Phil