Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  What size tank is good for a single Adult Male Midas or RD?

Jason_S
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 7
imo.....

minimum size tank would be 75 gallons for a male. a larger tank would be great but I think all by itself a 75 would be ok.

as for filtration, I absolutely never go by the ratings listed on the box. you can easily find out the flow rate of pretty much any filter online, usually on the manufacturer's website. with large growing cichlids such as a midas, I'd go with no less than a flow rate that will turn the water over at least 10 times per hour. so in a 75 gallon tank you'd want filtration a combined flow rate of 750 gallons per hour. on my 75 gallon I like to run 2 Aquaclear 500 powerfilters. there's no such thing, imo, as overfiltering a tank unless you're talking about an AC500 on a 10 gallon tank. oh, and I still don't know the new names of the Aquaclear filters so I still use the old ones. Very Happy

as for water changes, the more the better. I say change as much as you possibly can without doing more than say 90% at a time. I used to do 75-80% weekly changes on all my tanks but it just took too much time with 16 tanks running. with having to turn all the equipment off and let them sit for 15 minutes (for heaters to cool down) and then drain and refill with not a whole lot of water pressure...it was just too time consuming. so, I started changing as much as I could without going below the safe level on the heaters. this usually wound up with me changing 40-50% weekly and took a whole lot less time. the only thing, imo, to remember is that the larger the water change, the more important it is to make sure the water filling back up the tank is the same temperature, ph etc. Smile
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't changing 90% of the water have the fish flapping on the gravel bed almost?
Ozzy
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
Me either
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
I was the original author of this thread and I've finally gotton around to registering...

I've decided not to go the "sump tank" route only because of financial restraints at the moment. Wouldn't an 80 to a 100 Gallon tank run sufficiently with two Emeror 400 power filters? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14448&inm=1&N=2004+22768+2035

Each one of these turns over 400 GPH meaning that If I got a 100 gallon tank, it would be turned over 8 times with two of these bad boys. Wouldn't that be more then sufficient?

I've also decided on a minimum of 80 Gallons and really no bigger then 100 gallons. At 18' wide and 48'+ in lenght, I really dont see a single 14 inch male midas/red devil needing that much more space. Am I wrong? Or should I really look into a 125 gallon?

Also, I hear that alot of these tanks come in different sizes like some are long, while others are high, etc. I hear most Midas and adult Guapotes don't really care for height. It's the length and the width that are most important. Is't that true? Plenty of room to turn around and face onlookers face to face! Twisted Evil
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
I would go with a 125 as bigger is better and you wont regret that. You are right, you are better off with a longer and wider tank. I would however try to have 18" of hight.

Simple answer for the filters.... NO for HOB filters the rule of thumb is 10X Turnover and they are used more often to complement canister filters. I would go with one(if possible 2) XP3 Canister from fluval and an AC110

Another thing, buy your things at Big Als. Its cheaper usually.

XP3
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22037;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

AC110
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22129;category_id=1721;pcid1=2885;pcid2=
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info and the links Ozzy. But are Hang on tank filters really that bad for destructive fish like this? I never knew 10x turnover rate for filtration is the thing to aim for. I've used Aquaclear hang on power filters before in the past but I found MarineLand's Biowheel filters much easier to maintain, plus they have the added wet/dry biowheel. Should I really dismiss them altogether? All 4 of my tanks (2 are at parent's house) are all ran by either an Emporer 280 or 400 in addition to undergravel (for my mom's goldfish) and sometimes in addition to a canister.

To be honest , I had a Fluval 404 about 7 years ago. It was a great filter but very messy when it came to maintenance. You really think I should give canisters another try? I also heard something about power outages and canister filters. They said if there is a power outage, that a canister filter could somehow kill your fish??? Confused Something to do with either the nitrogen cycle or the media???

Besides what is actually cheaper as far as "monthly" media goes? The canister or the HOT power filters?

Either way, I'll give it some serious thought
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not canister filters are cheaper on media. Its mostly reuseable and you can improvise a whole lot.

As for the power outages it is true but with most filters. A short outage wont affect the cycle that much but if there is a long outage I would remove the media from the canister and place it in the tank.

As for AC110's I have heard of many people modifying them so they will take biowheels. I can dig up plans for you if you would like Very Happy

I still think that for fish like that (a big bioload) the best filtration (besides a sump) is a combination between HOB's and canister filters.

Also with canister filters recomended minimum turnover rate is 4X if I recall correctly as opposed with the 10X with HOB filters.

BTW with media for filters Oscar6 (another member has an eBay store dedicated to filter media) sells quality media bulk or small orders for great prices. You can visit his thread at the market place.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah I guess even a single 14' fish produces huge amounts of waste. Maybe a combo would be better.....But basically you are telling me that for large cichlids, HOT Powerfilters are just used to supplement canister filters? I wonder if that's because the mechanical filtration in a hang on isn't strong enough and the intake stem isn't usually as deep as a canisters?

As far as the AC goes, if you have a link and if it's no trouble, sure I'll take a look at the mod you are talking about. But I'm still more swayed towards the Emporer 400 at the moment. you gotta remember, I can seed my new tank with my old ones and even my mom's well established Goldfish tank! Wink Whats different about the AC's media really? It's been a few years since I used one.

I know all about fluvals repuation and it's a good one. I just didn't like the mess all over the place every month for filter maintence. Hopefully those hoses actually lock so there would be no mess and a puddle of water under the tank. Priming was another small problem, but I'll learn to overcome it.

I'll also check out that market place! Smile Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know what I decide to do. I still have month's before I move and upgrade to a larger tank anyhow.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely decided on between an 80 to a 100 gallon tank. Perferably 24 inches in width tho. I'll worry about filtration later since I won't be buying this tank untill I get ready to move. Anything over 100 gallons just seems too big for one fish. I'm just trying to decide between glass or arcrylic? Any suggestions? I already know the pros and cons of each as well.
EF9sleeper
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 16 Mar 2006 Posts: 1 Location: Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
i just picked up a 6" midas and was just wondering how long he would be fine in a 40 gallon breeder 36x18x15. right now for filtration i have three internal filters equivelant to fluval 3plus's which are good for upto 35 gallons i do 30-40% whater changes 3 times a week. oh and how long before i'll be able to tell whether its male or female.

Thx Chris.
Ozzy
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
That tank will be OK for less than a 6 months.

Most cichlids grow quickly.

As for telling sex have you tried venting your Midas?
Azkhaeracan
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 24 Feb 2006 Posts: 36 Location: Finland
In my opinion 80g is minimum... My little Midas is living now in 125g with Oscar and two Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus.. And I think there's not too much space.

Only monthly water changes? Uhh.. How can you keep your fish healthy? And is there much algae?
In my country we have very clean piped water and here we do the water changes once a week. I do change once a week 50% of the water in my every tank. This way there's neither big problems with algae nor fish health. All I have to do for my tanks are water changing (but hoses do that) and cleaning the filter media very seldom (once a three months).

Hmm, feels strange that some people can't find in their countries a shop that sells over 100g tanks... Here we can buy tanks usually upto 528 gallons... Of course you must order them, because the shops don't have enough space to storage such a big tanks. Laughing

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
I dunno man, when I look at an 80 or a 90 gallon tank, especially if they are 18 to 24 inches wide, it looks like it's more than enough for one 12' to 16' RD, Midas, or Hybrid.

Do you guys really think I should invest in a 125 gallon when I have no intentions of keeping onother living thing in the tank? I know the fish would love it but do I really need it? I've given up with all tankmates while keeping these brutes. Especially plecos, which have never lasted over a year with any of my juvenile RD's.
Azkhaeracan
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 24 Feb 2006 Posts: 36 Location: Finland
Yes, maybe 18" is a good minimum in width for such a big fish. But bigger is always better! My Oscar's tank is about 24" wide(the fish is 13") and I think it's okay, but 30" wide would be perfect. Sure Midas can't grow as big as Oscar... I wouldn't even think of smaller tank for my Oscar...

TenaciousTankBuster:

I agree, I don't think it's necessary. As you know, one fish(about 12") lives well in a bit smaller tank! Smile Maybe about 80-100g would be perfect I think.. I'm about to buy a tank for my Midas and I'm trying to find a cheap 90g...

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hey thanks for the advice man! Cool

I think more than likely It will be a 90 or 100 gallon. But definitely no need over a 125. Do you really think this size is spacious enough for one fish? I'd think so, but I'm no expert. Embarassed