Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  jag & midas?

fopp
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
my 6 inch jaguar has currently been moved from his original tank to a new 80 gallon tank. im not sure if it is large enough to home another fish of similar size permanantly, if so, do you think it would be ok to put a midas in with him? He can be extremely devilish, hence why i had to move him, he was taking on a green terror and a texas both the same size as him and both at the same time. will this be ok, will the midas keep him in line?
sebastian
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
i think taht midas with jag should work for exampel i have them in the same tank both of them are males and everything is ok
Ozzy
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
I think that the Jag is going to fill up that tank by himself pretty quikly
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
LOL....Well, let's just say I think it would be okay....

Ozzy
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Thats an 80 Toerag? Shocked
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
No that tank is a 150, but all these fish were raised together....the butter is now about 17 inches long...the red devil that he's attacking is now about 15.5 inches and the butter and my big dovii are scared to death of him....he's just terribly mean...and he's in a 110 by himself now...what I was implying that an 80 is big enough for a few for sure...my 250 gallon tank has 12 large red devils, a large tetracanthus, a black belt, a female dovii and a large butter...and.....four large fluvals, one large Cascade an undergravel filter and two aquar clear 110's on it.... I do a 50% water change every 10 days...and, believe it or not, the water STILL tests okay at 10 days!!!
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What kind of fluvals?

I did like the butti. The other day I was talking about them, mean fish Very Happy
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Fluval 404's I think?....the largest canisters they make.....

sebastian
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
have you got more pics of your tank ?????????

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I have alot of pics...too many to post....would be glad to email ya some if you'd like my friend....this is my 250 gallon on the day we were just introducing the fish..

Last edited by Toerag on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
They have a new canister you might like. Its called the FX5 I think
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks...I'm going to check it out some more...just found one on ebay..
jenni
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Toerag wrote:
No that tank is a 150, but all these fish were raised together....the butter is now about 17 inches long...the red devil that he's attacking is now about 15.5 inches and the butter and my big dovii are scared to death of him....he's just terribly mean...and he's in a 110 by himself now...what I was implying that an 80 is big enough for a few for sure...my 250 gallon tank has 12 large red devils, a large tetracanthus, a black belt, a female dovii and a large butter...and.....four large fluvals, one large Cascade an undergravel filter and two aquar clear 110's on it.... I do a 50% water change every 10 days...and, believe it or not, the water STILL tests okay at 10 days!!!
I am sorry to say "toerag" but your tank is populated to much. To many fihs Neutral
Toerag
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Well Jenni, I"ve been raising these beasts for right at 35 years....(maybe before you were born?>>LOL)...I do appreciate your reply...but this has worked great for me for years.....I have enough filtration on these tanks for a small town water supply-reservoir....and even when I do partial water changes the water still tests great. The reason for the overpopulation is that it does stop aggression...and, most of my fish are 2 years old to 9 years old and I can honestly say I haven't lost a single fish from illness, from aggression/fighting or anything other than old age...I have had illness...and moved them to a sick tank till better....I have had fights and have seperated when the situation necessitated....but, overcrowding WORKS when you know what you're doing.....and, since it has been very productive for getting mated pairs, very rewarding financially and since it's been working for this many years, think I'll stick to what's been successful....I do understand your reply, but not many folks have had the experience, successful experience that I've had over the years. Again, thanks for the reply...
daint2003
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Toerag wrote:
Well Jenni, I"ve been raising these beasts for right at 35 years....(maybe before you were born?>>LOL)...I do appreciate your reply...but this has worked great for me for years.....I have enough filtration on these tanks for a small town water supply-reservoir....and even when I do partial water changes the water still tests great. The reason for the overpopulation is that it does stop aggression...and, most of my fish are 2 years old to 9 years old and I can honestly say I haven't lost a single fish from illness, from aggression/fighting or anything other than old age...I have had illness...and moved them to a sick tank till better....I have had fights and have seperated when the situation necessitated....but, overcrowding WORKS when you know what you're doing.....and, since it has been very productive for getting mated pairs, very rewarding financially and since it's been working for this many years, think I'll stick to what's been successful....I do understand your reply, but not many folks have had the experience, successful experience that I've had over the years. Again, thanks for the reply...

I used to keep Red Devil in group but fail. Your experience is very valuable. Thanks for sharing.