Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Red Devil aggressiveness, hormon and nuchal hump

daint2003
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
I have seen people putting a mirror near tank that makes male cichlid fighting with his shadow in the mirror; once he fights much he is more aggressive then his nuchal hump is more developing,

I am also heard that hormon has main role in nuchal hump developing of male cichlid,

I come to a conclusion myself that "more hormon or aggressiveness makes big nuchal hump",

Now look at the fact that many Red Devil males kept in the same tank develope a very big nuchal hump. They may compete together by creating more hormon, then more aggressive, then their nuchal humps turn out big,

In this forum, Toerag says keeping many Red Devils in the same tank will make them less aggressive, then I guess his male Red Devils create less hormon then small nuchal hump. But his fish are still big nuchal hump!

I am confused, can anyone explain?
Zitrone
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Sep 2005 Posts: 78 Location: Germany
Watch out this humpheads

They live together in one tank and try to dominate each other, so their humps grow and grow, but they can not dominate, because their are to many of other midas around. The aggression is very high, but they don´t bite each other because they can´t concentrate them on one fish.

But if you take one of this killers out of the tank an put him in an other tank with only one other midas, they will fight til death from one second to the other second!! Or put a new fish in the tank, sometimes they try all together to kill this poor new fish.

They are like lions

daint2003
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Zitrone for your answer. It satisfies me.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Me too. That's actually pretty funny if you think about it. And it's so very true. I've never had more then one Midas or Red Devil that size in a tank at one time. I could only imagine the soap opera going on in that tank! Laughing
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
I've been raising them in overcrowed/over-filtrated tanks for about 35 years....this is a 150 gallon and a 250 gallon tanks...both loaded with reds/dovii/tetracanthus/butter/jags etc....but, I have enough filtration for a small town's drinking water reservoir on each tank.....very little aggression

daint2003
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Could you please tell me the male/female ratio of RD/Midas in each tank?
Toerag
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
Sure...the 150 gallon tank has three females....the 250 gallon tank has three females.....and, one other female that we thought was a male all this time till she laid eggs....she's a wild caught costa rican "flamingo" they called her....whatever the hell that was supposed to mean...but, they told me down there that it's what they call rainbow colored specimens????? (the first pic) I'm in the process of trying to breed her to my 15 inch killer ( the second pic).....think the fry would be really pretty....been unsuccessful trying anything with him so far....he even tries to kill the big pleco?....

Wish me luck...
HighFive
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 43 Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
As with any and all cichlids, you put a mirror in front of them and they will attack it to fend off any and all unwelcomed visitors to their home (territory). This is a natural instinct that takes over in their natural environments. The size of the nuchal hump has also been brought up in discussions as a sign of dominance in their natural environments. But their contributing factor is in their genetic makeup. Hence the reason that one specimen may attain this contributing factor and others may not. Female specimens can and will also attain this factor through courtship and during breeding duress.

HighFive Very Happy

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 13 May 2006 Posts: 29 Location: FairField
Toerag wrote:
I've been raising them in overcrowed/over-filtrated tanks for about 35 years....this is a 150 gallon and a 250 gallon tanks...both loaded with reds/dovii/tetracanthus/butter/jags etc....but, I have enough filtration for a small town's drinking water reservoir on each tank.....very little aggression

Wow the 2nd pic looks like a buddacofire Exclamation

http://www.upload-images.net/imagen/d9a5aee706.jpg