Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Midas or Labiatum? Male or Female? Part 2-UPDATED

Male or Female?

Male  
87%
  [ 7 ]  87%

Female  
12%
  [ 1 ]  12%

Total Votes : 8
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
I'm begining to worry and wonder why my fish hasn't morphed yet. I went back to the store where I bought him and almost the entire batch has already begun to turn orange while some are both orange and white! Out of the 4 that I still have, one has already began to morph. He turned black first and now he is turning all orange. Why hasn't this happend to this guy yet? After all he is the dominant fish and is nearly twice the size of the other 4? Confused

Anyways here are some pics, maybe about a month since the first thread I made. Let me know what you guys think. I'm almost positive it's a male, but I'm no expert. Also is this is hybrid and if so, does it have more Midas or Lab in him? Or is there a chance that this could be Pure Red Devil or Midas?

Thanks! Twisted Evil

And finally one shot without using the flash:

Oh and remember he is just a hair over 2 inches now.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
I posted those pics over at cichlids.com and I'm having people tell me that they think its a flowerhorn! Laughing This can't be right? Here is a picture of a young midas from cichlidscene.com that looks exactly the same as my fish when he changes moods and attacks my pleco and the others.

Do you guys see the similarity between this young midas and my fish? It may be hard because you can't see his markings due to his mood and the flash of the camera id assume.

Someone please respond, this is very important to me. If there is even a chance that this is a flowerhorn (although I highly doubt it is because it looks exactly like the baby Midas at cichlidscene) I'd like to know.

Thanks again! Twisted Evil
Toerag
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
Give him some time....he'll morph before long....should be interesting..
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Well, he still hasn't morphed. But the other 3 have already. One of them is almost completely done and is now almost a bright solid orange. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Still tho, its taking a very long time. Hopefully this will be an inclination that maybe he will be a different color? Maybe white? Then again every one I saw in the tank was orange so....

I've been feeding him lots of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and krill atleast 3 to 4 times a week while the rest of the week is almost strictly all Hikari Pellet foods such as Bio Gold, Gold, Cichlid Excel, Cichlid Complete, and food sticks.

Also he is really making life a living hell for the other 3 RD's. I almost want to keep him by himself right now just to avoid the stress on the others. But I've heard that the longer you keep them with other fish, the more socialable they become and its also possible for them to develop brigter colors (especially around females) around the other fish. Is there any truth to this?
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
So do you guys think I should just keep my other 3 red devils in there with him, even tho they are getting picked on almost every day? I've heard that the longer you keep a potential solitary fish with other fish, the better thier coloration can get in the long run?

I just feel sorry for the other 3. I know it's natural selection but I don't like waiting to the point where the fish are so chewed up and stressed out they dont make it.
daint2003
Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
I think you just give them some places to hide such as flowerpot, stones, caves...
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
I dunno daint, I really only plan on keeping the male so I dont wanna spend more money. I did bring in some rocks I had packed away in the garage tho. I put them in after these pictures were taken.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Updated Pictures of what you guys seem to agree with me on is indeed a male.

Here is my current 60 gallon tank. You can't see the other 3 devils because they are up next to the power filters on top. This is where the male chases them off too:

Thats him in the center.

Here is one of the other smaller siblings. It is already well into the morphing process. How come my male (which is nearly 3 times it's size) has shown no signs yet? :

And here are two of the bad boy himself. Again, I'm very worried about him still not morphing. I got him at the begining of January and he's already over 3 inches I think:

My question is this, do you guys think it is really necessary to keep the other 3 RD's which he beats into submission towards the top of the filters anyways? I kinda feel sorry for them because he wont let them eat half the time. As a matter of fact, he wont touch the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp I give him. The others seem to love everything tho.

Anyways I was just wondering if I should keep him by himself now just to save the other fish? Or do you guys think that by keeping the others in the tank with him, it might somehow encourage a brighter coloration if and when he begins to morph? Again, I'm kinda upset that he hasn't morphed yet...... Sad
daint2003
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Wow! you have a very nice tank. I suggest you keep all of them together until they form a pair. By now, you can put one or two small flowerpots into the tank to give more hidden room to other RDs.

I think your guy starts changing color now so don't worry (look at his belly and fins).
Fish_King
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
if i saw that fish at the petstores....i'd be like......"hey thats a flowerhorn"....i think its a flowerhorn because all the flower horns i've seen looks almost like that one and it has the lil patterns on its tails...i mean even some orange red devils have it and midas too but its just ALL the flower horns i've seen has it...but i dont know...i dont even know much at all........but im just giving u my opinion to see if it helps u anywhere.... Wink
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the compliment on my Tank Daint. Very Happy

Fishking, No he's not a flowerhorn man. But you arn't the first one who initially thought that. Wink
Fish_King
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
ummm ok...i guess hes not then....hehe Very Happy
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Hey Im no expert man. These other guys seem to know alot more than I do! Laughing

Funny thing is tho he is getting very red in the belly like a flowerhorn tho....... Confused Anyways I don't think he is because they had flowerhorns at the time I bought this guy (and the same size too) and they looked totally different.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Here is a few more pics taken yesterday.

Note the red on the Belly!
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I woke up this morning, to find my two orange mophs dead!!! Mad One on the top and one under the bog wood. I'm now down to just two fish. My boy, and what I beleive to be a female. They are showing the characteristics of a "Pair" but I'm not 100% sure. He is really chasing and beating on her badly. I really want to take her out and back to the aquarium shop to save her from this onslaught. Also my male scratches his body pretty badly by chasing her from one end to the other.

My intentions originally were to keep the others untill the "Big Boy" started to morph but now I'm just thinking of keeping him by himself as of this moment.

What do you guys think? Obviously if he doesn't morph within 4-6 more months, there is a problem.