Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Flower Horn Cichlid & Hybrids  ~  The difference between Flower Horns

Cichlidfever
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 26 Location: Bowie, MD
How many different types of Flower Horns are there? For instance, I have heard of the Pearl Flower Horn, the Dragon, and many other types mentioned. Which one is all red? Are Flower Horns shorter in lenght then the trimac, and the Midas?
sebastian
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
fh's aren't shorter than midas or trimacs i would say that they are longer and grow bigger much bigger they can even by 60 cm llenght
Ozzy
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
You can see most of the different morphs of the FH's here: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwflowerhorn
Fish_King
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
better yet...even more FH here: http://www.flowerhornimports.com/VG10.htm
Cichlidfever
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies. Some of those Flower horns are nice looking and some are not. I wonder if you purchase a 1" to 2" flower horn to raise would they look like some of those pictures. I would be scared to try, because I am thinking that you never know what you are going to get. Am I wrong in my thinking?
HighFive
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 43 Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Hello my friend;

Your best bet is to visit http://www.flowerhornusa.com. I am a moderator on the forum there and you will be able to meet our registered importers and can get in on great group buys. Not to mention the latest strains to hit the world. And by learning more from this web site you will in fact learn to distinguish great specimens from overall mediocre ones.

As far as the strains go, there are four categories listed but certainly a mention of a fifth has been talked about:

ZZ - Zen Zhu - this is where the classification of most FHs originated. The classical crossing and cross breeding of the Trimac with various others.

Kamfa - the simple crossing of FHs to a Parrot or Vieja species (whether it be blood parrot, Darmo, King Kong, or Mammon Parrot).

Jing Kang - these specimens are the more brightly colored ones such as the Tri-tong (red frontal coloration with a deep yellow or golden coloration), or golden flowerhorn.

GM - or Golden Monkey - one of the more popular categories of flowerhorns to date.

Fortune Fish - Chai Sen - I hope I spelled that right, these are a similar type specimen as flowerhorns but with distinguishing features and markings and start to develop in the later stages of its growth. Certainly for the patient hearted individual.

As far as the numerous names out there in the market, most are just that, they are names made up by the breeders such as:

POTO - Pearl of the Orient
KGM - King of Golden Monkey
RS - Red Shock
RM - Red Monkey
SRS - Super Red Synspilum
BD - Blue Dragon
RD - Red Dragon
KKP - King Kong Parrot
BP - Blood Parrot
DK - Dragon Kamfa
RBK - Rainbow King
RT - Red Texas
SRT - Super Red Texas
GL - Golden Leopard
BK - Buffalo Kamfa
BDK - Blue Dragon Kamfa
RDK - Red Dragon Kamfa

Now let me remind you that these are just a few of the name strains out there. There are hundreds if not even thousands more our there in the flowerhorn world. But remember that there are mainly only four major categories that they would be listed in.

HighFive Smile

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks HighFive. I will continue to learn more about Flower Horns.