Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  How Do I Make My RD Grow Fast? or Fastest It Can Grow?

Fish_King
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
i just got my new little RD....about hmm....5 inches?.....hes by himself like in a 25 gal. tank......i feed him little feeder guppies......what can i do to help him grow?i need all i can get.....
reddaggerz
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
Site Pleco Joined: 11 Jan 2006 Posts: 31
I wouldnt feed him feeders, its like fast food, it ***. Laughing Give him good quality food and a varied diet and more importanatly get him in a much bigger tank someday soon, a 50g would be a min but I would go for a 75 or 100. That is the best way to make sure he grows. Cool
Fish_King
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
well what kind of food do u mean exactly?...like pellets?...or like brine shrimp and beef hearts....nvm beefheart....my RD dont like it or eat it....what do u suggest?... Confused
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
My fish wont even eat brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. He's more concerned with fighting with the others and stopping them from eating then he is to eat those things. Only frozen food my guy won't turn his nose up is Krill.

My intention is to starve him for a few days to get him to learn to like bloodworms and brineshrimp. Any thoughts, you guys think that should work?

It really pizzes me off when he spits it out in disgust and lets everything fall to the bottom. Then when the other RD's go and try to get it, he just doesn't let them eat at all! Evil or Very Mad
Fish_King
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
yes starving ur RD for a few days and then get him to eat a new food works i think....BECAUSE........after i got a bigger RD...i didnt care much about my little RD....so i put him in a bucket for a few days and then decided i wanted to keep him still so i threw him in a little tank.....(now...he never eats pellets...only feeders)......well i noticed i ran out of feeders so then i throw him a few pellets just to have some food in his tank incase he might die..because he has not eatin for a few days.....then he decides he's going to eat the pellets i threw in...and from there on....which was like maybe 3 weeks ago...he likes pellets.... Wink Wink
sebastian
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
and i would feed him feeder guppies because he will grow faster than if he woud be feeded by pellets ,also bigger tank and change of water 2 times per week in nature there aren't any pellets and etc , don't listen to pther addvices ,just make a test buy another rd and feed him pellets and we will ses which will grow faster

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 24 Feb 2006 Posts: 36 Location: Finland
Growing faster requires bigger tank (at least 75g), good water conditions and feeding... Pellets, alive food and stuff like that Smile

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote
i also wanted to say that you should feed your rd pellets etc but it should be only an addition to feeder fishes

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 24 Feb 2006 Posts: 36 Location: Finland
Yep! This is off-topic, but in my country they don't sell feeders at all! And I'm a bit afraid of fish tuberculosis... I don't want my fish to have it. So I'm not ready to buy guppies for my Midas. Here we feed them usually with worms, etc... But still I think a feeder fish would be better food for my beast!

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote
thnx for all the advices guyz....i especially thought about the wild once....there really arent any pellets in the wild Very Happy i would love to believe there is but face it...there isnt....so i guess feeder guppies and goldfish are the best for my RD.....hey.....1 "?"..........how big are ur guys fish? Twisted Evil
sebastian
Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
but the cichlids or the feedre fishes???

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
From what I've been told, It's all about water changes and 2nd...Good Frozen and live food.
daint2003
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
From what I have heard, it is about large tank, water change, air pump, food and ...time.
Fish_King
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
what do u mean cichlid or feeder guppies sebastian?.......thnx once again guuyz i do know for sure a bigger tank would help....do colors on RD make them more aggressive or less?????????? Very Happy ....sorry but i always have to ask these lil things......more "?" pop up everytime.... Sad
sebastian
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
you asked how big are our fishes but our cichlids or the feeder fishes which we give to the cichlids ?,i think that in bigger tanks cichlids are less agrressive than in smaller and the color don't have influence on level of agressivnes but generaly the more colorful fish is always healthier and stronger because by the color it shows its power and in the nature that although it is colorful it isn't eaten by the predator