Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  How Do I Make My RD Grow Fast? or Fastest It Can Grow?

Fish_King
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
oh....i mean how big r ur guy'z cichlids?.........have u guys ever seen a FULL RD....as in PURE ALL RED.....the real color red?
sebastian
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
i had seen a red devil something about 25 cm cery colorfull in tank of my friend but unfortunately the rd is dead since 2005 he was 9 years old

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
oh...hmm....must of been a bad one?......aggressive even toward people?....i especially love those kind........
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Actually I think any medium to large Central or south american solitary cichlid will become agressive towards humans when they are kept by themselves. Thats my experience anyhow.
sebastian
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
i go with tenacious i got the same experience ,but sometimes the situation may be different for example i had in the same tank pair of jags and oscar and when i put the hand into the tank my oscar attcked me every time

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
well actually u guyz r right...most of the bigger cichlids i've seen at the petstores r aggressive toward ppl and will try to attack me...and then i try to attack it too...........j/p hehe Very Happy .....HEY?.....WAT DO U GUYUZ THINK IS THE BEST FOOD TO MAKE A CICHLID....(RED DEVIL).....MORE AGGRESSIVE...AND ALSO WHAT O U GUYZ THINK IS THE BEST PELLET FOODS FOR BIG CICHLIDS...(RED DEVIL) Very Happy
sebastian
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
a food which makes cichlid more aggresive doesn't exsist ,and about pellets i can hepl you because i live in Poland and we have here different food

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
hmm thnx again sebastian......i guess i just keep feeding my RD more guppies...big ones now Very Happy .....even better and more satisfying for him...umm...what was the most expensive u guyz have bought from anywhere?????????? Cool
Fish_King
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
oh another thing that i forgot about sebastian.....how come when i feed my fish live food,they tend to be more aggresive than when i feed them pellet or frozen food?.....is it becuz they get to chase around the food which makes them more aggresive?...becuz it looks like pellets make them dont have to chase around their food therefore makes them lazy and not aggressive????????????? Confused
daint2003
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Quote:
more colorful fish is always healthier and stronger because by the color it shows its power and in the nature that although it is colorful it isn't eaten by the predator

I also thought that color morph is easer to find out by enemies (other big fish, reptiles, hunting birds...) so if they appear in the wild like RD color morph (A. labiatus/ A. citrinellus) that they have to be stronger, faster and more aggressive than normal morph.

That was wrong. The color morph live in deep water where red light can not reach therefore both color and normal morph look same: DARK color. They don't have to be stronger, faster or more aggressive than normal morph to survive!
sebastian
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
so feeding cichlids live food doesn't make them more agressive because they must chase it but it makes them more hmmm livefulll you know i mean they have more strenght and power to swim attack etc.
and about daint you're right but rd and midas doesn't live very deep under the surface of water and in the mostly cases they're swimming not very deep so the color morph isn't always the sign of agrressivnes

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
i see what u mean sebastian....well how come it only looks like us 3 ppl here are the only active ppl?.....or maybe the others r just lazy .....j/p Very Happy ....man i think my RD is going to be really aggresive when he gets bigger and older becuz today when i rearranged the tank to put a flower pot in it nibbled on my finger...kinda like a small bite?
daint2003
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Quote:
rd and midas doesn't live very deep under the surface of water

I have read a paper saying that color morph spawn deeper than nomal morph, about 9 to 11 meters or more. However, I am a little confused now because red light can reach at that distance! You shoud read this thread: http://www.cichlidae.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=938
sebastian
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
ok so lets say that yelow or orange color morph isn't always the sign of agressivness and halth

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 04 Jul 2006 Posts: 3 Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
I guess it would depend on where you are getting your feeder fish. I do not ever give my guy feeders unless I can get minnows from a bait shop. There are too many diseases in the petstores in the fish tanks. Even the pet shops will tell you that you can pick up parasites in the feeders. The other thing is that the proten in the goldfish is the wrong kind, they are not naturally occuring prey for central America. Not to mention that goldfish are just dirty, nasty, poluted fish! (Let me tell you how I really feel, lol) I am a big advocate of a varied diet of pellets, earthworms and shrimp.

My guy will also turn up his nose at anything frozen and I tried the bloodworms and just about anything else that is recommended. He is doing well, so I don't worry about it.