Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  "?" For Professor Sebastian and Professor Daint200

Fish_King
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
ok im really feeling weird about my Red Devil......hes not sick from the way he looks....he acts normal....chases fish to eat...digs pits...blah blah blah.....but then the problem is......he "twitches"......he also scratches himself on the rock at the bottom of the tank....he doesnt have any fungus or anything building on him though.....its like he has something that makes him itchy but we dont see it....i even use "RID-ICH" to see if anything happens but then he still twitches around sometimes.....sebastian and daint2003....do u guyz have a clue whats wrong with my Red Devil...?????????? Sad
sebastian
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
dpn't worry every fish sometimes scratches itselves sometimes it is not any sickness if only he isn't doing it to often

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Yes, I saw it very often in my aquarium but I can't explain.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
If by "Twitching" you mean like shuddering or shaking his head back and forth as if he were saying "NO", then that's normal. It's some type of behavior thing. Not only have I've seen this in all the RD's I've kept in the past, but even from a 4.5 inch Male Midas that I bought from Jeff Rapps.

LOL sometimes when Rapp's Midas did that, I'd go right up to the tank, close to the glass and shake my head and blow out my cheeks the same way they blow out their gills in agression. I know its funny but I stopped because I thought I was teasing him too badly. LOL He difinitely would get up close and personal by hitting and bitting the glass at full force. He difinitely was getting upset and I know he wanted a peice of me. After that, the fish literally hated me and wouldn't even let me stick my arm in the tank for partial water changes. LOL! Twisted Evil

To me this is almost the same as bringing mirror up to the tank. It can drive some of them insanely mad. But again, I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of doing this. Maybe just once to see thier reaction and thats it.

Here is a pick of my old Midas that I bought from Jeff Rapps a few months ago. He is now living in a friend's 150 gallon with a Flowerhorn and pleco. Man I really miss this guy. Maybe I'll get another one from Jeff Rapps soon. Anyhow this is the dude that I was talking about. He was insane!

Fish_King
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
no.....my guy twitches his two lil bottom hand fins....it all the sudden goes up and down really really fast.....scares me almost...or actually it did.... Very Happy ...but im serious though...hes just weird sometimes...but hes not doin it much anymore so maybe u guyz r right...its just part of thier behavoir....man i cut my lil plastic flower part and made a lil door on the side and flipped it upside down and my RD LOVES it!!....fits him perfectly......oh...i had a friend that told me when u put in decorations for ur fish to go inside and stuff like that....they dont grow as much?.....is that true sebastian????(ok...ur going to be my professor from now on???) hehe Cool
sebastian
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
rd are very strange fishes i saw one which was swimming like up side down catfish not all the time but he was doing 3 or 2 times per day and he wasn't sick

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
oh ....ok....maybe ur right then Twisted Evil ......hey...umm....what does it mean when RD's morph?...does it mean they get more aggressive?.....because i keep hearin u guyz talkin about RDs changing colors when they morph?....well my RD's fins and are a "lil" bit startin to turn darkish color?....im soo happy but also confused?.....but what does morhing mean for RDs.?...and how do u know when they morph?
Toerag
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
LOL..this is my big quad colored midas...he twitches some too, after opening this thread, scroll down to see video...

http://vmix.com/viewVideo.php?ID=197943
sebastian
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
gorgeous fish teorag very nice i wish i had such a rd

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 13 May 2006 Posts: 29 Location: FairField
Its ick. My approx 6" jack dempsy had it. The way he scratches hes goes near a shale rock and goes on his side and itchs. Idea Why dont u put aquriuam salt NOT REG. SALT. Ive bought some at the store for 1-4$ But the best place to buy it is at walmart for a buck. It really worked his ick was gon and the salt makes them more active, and there gils breath more not in a bad way it practily opens it up more.

http://www.upload-images.net/imagen/d9a5aee706.jpg
kluvsmidas
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 27 May 2006 Posts: 19
daint2003 wrote:
Yes, I saw it very often in my aquarium but I can't explain.

Ummm, if I am right I belive they call the scratching flashing!! My midas does it usually after a tank changing or cleaning. I think it has something to do with the change of water, but it doesnt seem to be harmful in anyway, like when we have to much chlorine in the water and we get out of the shower, kinda gives us dry itchy skin kinda the same thing I think
Fish_King
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
ohh ok...sorry if my reply is too late...just never found the time to get on my computer anymoree.....but thnx Very Happy