Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  My homemade diet for Fish King

Toerag
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
I don't feed feeders very often...NEVER GOLD FISH!!),,,guppies, (after I've taken them home...leave in a "sick" tank for at least a week and feed the hell out of them with brine shrimp and high quality flake food)...but, my reds grow very fast and very large....(too fast and too large..LOL)...I partially thaw out frozen beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, high quality pellets crushed, high quality flake food, sometimes I add peas and crushed carrots, mix all together...refreeze and then feed chunks...to my big guys...my small fish I feed them most flakes, pellets and blood worms....I don't do water changes as frequently as advised above, but, I have so much money invested in filtration that I could keep a small city reservoir drinkable for quite some time....Currently I have the following tanks set up and running...a 250 gallon with an undergravel (and useless with these fish) filter, three large fluvals, one large Cascade, two aquaclear 110's...and, then, once a week run an old diatom filter on it once a week...I change 1/2 the water every two weeks..and, when testing the water at that time, tests quite good even then!!..My 110 gallon has all of the above with the exception of an undergravel filter and the large Cascade...my 150 gallon has no undergravel, has two aqua clear 110's, two hot magnums, one large fluval...(and, the Diatom once a week..water change, 1/3 every 10 days)...my three 30 gallon tanks get 1/2 water change every week and all have 2 aquaclear 110's and pro magmums and undergravel filters..and....diatom once a week....water changes are critical frequently unless you have a zillion dollars invested in good reliable filters!!..a Diatom filter is a miracle worker!!!

armac
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Posts: 40 Location: McAllen, Texas
Why don't you save yourself some electricity, get rid of the multiple filters and buy one wet/dry for each tank?
Fish_King
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:08 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
why dont u feed them goldfish?....i thought they had some good carotenes in them?....well...ill try ur homemade fish food with brine shrimp,beef heart, and hikari cichlid gold pellets and a bit of flakes....becuz thats what i have.....ill try a lil first and then see how it works...sounds pretty good...thanks Smile
fwlion
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 14
GOLDFISH ARE VERY UNHEALTHY FOR ANY FISH TO EAT NO HEALTH OR COLOR OR GROWTH BENEFITS IN GOLDFISH NASTY AS HELL AND SOMETIMES DEADLY TO FISH
daint2003
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Yes, goldfish and koi are source of fungus infection. I lost 9 fish few month ago because of them. I fed my fish with koi, my fish got fungus infection then I treated them with salt but I poured... too much salt...
Fish_King
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
chill guyz...i didnt know all u were against gold fishes that much....maybe ill will now too Very Happy ....oh....yea...i never got to try that home made meal although i thought it was BOMB....all i did was feed my RD some o.k. pellets...then beef heart....then bloodworms....in that order everyday when i get home from school and before i go to sleep Very Happy