Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  First aquarium

Eric M
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
I set up a 55 gallon aquarium a few weeks ago, and went to a local pet store yesterday to get some fish. This is the first time I have ever set up an aquarium. I got two Oscars, three iridescent sharks, and a Midas Chiclid. The person in the store seemed to think these fish would be okay together, since the Oscars were larger that the Cichlid. Wow, was he wrong! Overnight the Cichlid destroyed one of the Oscars, leaving only the tail fin, split the fin on the other, and ate the eyes out of two of the sharks.

After reading about this fish, it appears this tank may be too small. Can I leave the Midas in this 55 gallon tank, and if so, are there any other fish I can put in the tank with him (I say "him", but I have no idea what the sex is)? The Midas is about 5-6" long right now.

Any help would be appreciated. The pet store is willing to replace the dead fish, but I don't want to put anything else in the tank that is going to get killed by the Cichlid.

Thanks,
Eric
Death Angel
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Clarksville, TN
The midas will be ok for about 1 year Max. You will need a 75 and that will push it.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 24 Sep 2005 Posts: 26 Location: Oklahoma City, OK
I agree with Death Angle. Your Midas will just destroy anything you put in the tank with him. Just get your money back and maybe try a large pleco, though that will probly not work either. Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope it goes well for you. keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sebastian
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
i think tha oscars would be god tankmates for midas but it all depends of individual bahavior of oscar i've got midas and oscar the same size and the oscar beat the midas and he even fights with breeding pair of jags
Midas
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
>>Peaceful Oscars or Heros species sometimes have a positive influence on the character of the Midas Cichlid – especially when they grow up together. However, Oscars and other species unfortunately lose in controversies and can easily be injured seriously<<

found on midas-cichlid.com

Male A. Citrinellus or A. Trimaculatus are very strong and brutal when they grow out. An oscar has no chance in small tanks. The midas or trimac bites the oscar three or four times and oscar´s resistance is broken. It try to escape but the tank is to small and the midas catches the oscar. The oscar remember midas first attack and doesn´t defend itself. In bigger tanks - the midas gives the os a very small please for freedom of movement.
Trim
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 46
Red Devil and Oscar is still a problem too!

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
i can't agree with midas my oscar had beaten the midas with no problem and he is still fighting with jags oscar has mouth in scales the jags beat him but he still fight with them and he isn't afraid of the jags
Anubisscott
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It all depends on the individual fish and tank size. Weather you have had Oscars who won or Midas who have won a 55g isen't big for both. Its not even big enough for one at full size. If you want to buy a 120 or even a 180 it could work with enough dithers. I have a hyper aggressive male Oscar at 14", but I won't put him to the test any more. You have to remember, unlike Midas/Trmacs/RD's, Oscars teeth are not in the front of their mouth. They are in the back because they are designed to swallow their food whole, then chew. They for the most part aren't designed to go head to head with fish like Midas. Also, Oscars are for the most part more Semi-agressive then agressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sebastian
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
i can't agree with anubiscott because oscars have teeth in the front of their mouth just like trimac or else ai saw oscars teeth when one of them had injured lip and there were much of oscars teeth Wink
Anubisscott
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
sebastian wrote:
i can't agree with anubiscott because oscars have teeth in the front of their mouth just like trimac or else ai saw oscars teeth when one of them had injured lip and there were much of oscars teeth Wink
That was the Jaw bone which does have ridges, but are not actual teeth. I don't have time today, but I suppose I will have to dig up some info to show you. The fact that the fish had to have had an injured jaw and tissue removed proves that point. Wink
sebastian
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
WHEN YOU WILL HAVE TIME SHOW ME PROVES Wink BUT I STEEL THINK THAT IT WAS TEETH EVERY CICHLID HAVE TEETHS IN THEIR JAW ESPECIALY PREDATORS THIS IS MY OPINION SO I'M WAITING ANUBISSSCOTT Smile
Ozzy
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
Oscars HAVE teeth but they are Pharyngeal teeth( Opposing patches of teeth which occur on the upper and lower elements of the gill arches, they are used to "grind" food) not the teeth in a Jaguar or Wolf Cichlids mouth. Oscars are not really piscivores so they dont need teeth to grasp fish with, Oscars mostly eat insects in the wild.

They do have ridges in their jaws as Anubisscott says. If the oscar is big, it can draw blood from your finger as I can tell you from experience Laughing
sebastian
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
ok i agree with you now Wink i know that oscars can bite because i was bitten by them many times i know also that they eat insecst in nature but my oscar eat more fishes than my jag
Ozzy
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
Yes they do eat any fish that fits in its mouth Laughing

Oscars amaze me, they are opportunistic eaters. I have gone weeks without feeding my oscar (2 weeks) and nothing happens to him Embarassed I also give my oscar any "unwanted"(sick[not too sick fish, it really depends on wht the fish has]like with dropsy or ick, weak and frail fish or guppies that become overwhelming.) fish I might have with full confidence that it wont harm him.
boxhitter
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 69
the only thing that iam going to say is that a fish will not out grow its tank. it would be different if you put a monster in a 55 but if you raise one up it will not out grow its tank.