Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Toerag, is this what your "Big Red" looked like as

Male or Female? Citrenellus, Labiatus, or Hybrid (common red devil)?

Male  
60%
  [ 6 ]  60%

Female  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

Total Votes : 10
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Toerag, Is this what your "Big Red" looked like as a juvenile??? Question

Sorry I've been away from the forums for a while fellas.
Anyhow as some of you might know the last red devil I had jumped out of the tank and died not too long ago. Since then, I've been raising another small group of juvenile (most likely RD/Midas hybrids since they were sold under the name Red Devil) Red Devils. I started out with 10, now am down to 7 since I gave back the 3 that were getting picked on the most. The dominant fish is a beautiful Red/white morph with red eyes! He is the largest of the bunch and like I said, the most dominant, so I'll assume he is indeed a male. I understand he is just a baby at 1.5 inches but if you guys could guess with the pictures presented here...what would you say?

Oh and Toerag, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is what your big red looked like as a juvie? If you look at his color and markings, you'll see he has alot in common with your "Big Red"! Same red eyes, same red on the tail section, etc. Here bro, take a look!

Your Big Red:

Pictures of my fish "Damian".....possibily the future "Big Red"!!!??? Twisted Evil

Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures. He's an active lil shyt!!! Laughing

Let me know what you guys think?
sebastian
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
it is to early to say something about your fish ,personaly i would wait some time and see another pictures when he or she will be larger

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I know, he's too young now. I'm kinda power feeding them and keeping them at 82 degrees at the moment. I feed 3 times a day maxiumum with mainly all the various Hikari pellets and 4 or 5 different frozen foods on the weekends. Hopefully this is ok.
daint2003
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Nice fish, I wish to see how he looks like when he grows up
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the props. I really love this guy alot. Hopefully he's a male. Still though...everyone who I speak to tells me that if you get a group of 6 to 12 juvies and let them grow up and pair up, 90-99% of the time the biggest and most dominant fish will most likely me a male. They said it is very, very rare that a Female will be larger then a male (even at the juvenile stage) and even more rare that a female will rule the community. I have been told this countless times, surely there must be some truth to this? What you guys think?
daint2003
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yes the male always grows faster than the female and the biggest one is always a male. The female can be bigger then the male at juvenile stage but one day the male will grow bigger.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sound good to me man. As usual, I'm hoping for a male. Imo, they are alot like hamsters...The males make better pets then the females. Minus of course the big nutsack that male hamsters have! LOL Laughing

Anyhow I was gonna post some more pics but after I did this weeks water change with my brand new Python No Spill, Clean And Fill, Damian and the others had the black spots on the fins and lips come back again. That's ok tho, It will go away again like it always does. I just didn't want to take a pic of him with black lips! Razz

Btw anyone heard from ToeRag? I posted this thread nearly two weeks ago and no response from him. I guess he's busy with the other things in life. Anyhow, Hope he gets back soon. And thx for all the input from you guys. There will be periodic picture updates to follow. Cool
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
To whoever voted "FEMALE" in my poll......

Could you please explain how and why you think my fish is female? I'll post more pics very soon! Please defend your observation...Thx! Smile

TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick update because I dont want to make another thread about "what sex is my fish?"......

I still have all 6 RD/Midas, but 3 of them are getting beat up pretty bad by my dominant white/orange morph. I'm thinking about getting rid of those 3 fish this weekend. Or, do you guys think I should just wait untill my orange/white morph forms a pair with a female? What do you guys think?

Also I am now nearly 99% sure my white/orange morph is indeed a male. At only 3 1/2 inches, I can clearly see his breeding tube! It is indeed longer and bigger then any of the others and from the looks of it, It is pointed forward! If I remember correctly, the male tube is longer and is pointed forward. Question

If anyone has a link that clearly shows a female vs. male sex comparison, please post a link. Also like I said, he is much bigger than the rest, and has a much more muscular looking front end and head area as well as a very high dorsal fin that comes to two pointy tips. At 3 1/2 inches can I make a safe sexing? It looks to me like I can. What do you guys think???

More pictures to follow................ Wink

daint2003
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If anyone has a link that clearly shows a female vs. male sex comparison, please post a link

Here it is:
http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/fish_profiles_citrinellus.php
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Thank you Daint. Sorry I havn't been around lately here.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Here's an update video I made on Halloween. This is by far the most aggressive fish I've ever kept. He shows absoltely no fear of me or anyone else. The only way I can even do my weekly water changes is to hold him back with the net one side of the tank! I love this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J49-aaygSks
daint2003
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yes, very aggressive. I bet he will look very nice when gowing up.
spaceman
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
i agree too young to tell

space
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well it's official, the 3 people who voted female couldn't have been further from the truth. The Male breeding tube is beyond obvious now, and he is now around 8 months old and 6 inches long! His nuchal hump and cranial profile have gotton much bigger as well. He is also eating all the time and has completely gotton over any fear he had from taking food from the surface! I'm so friggen happy, I love this guy!

More pictures and a new youtube video coming soon! Cool