Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Midas in a community aquarium?

littlebluegnoll
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 12 Jun 2006 Posts: 2
Hi everyone,

I just got a 55 gallon aquarium and I am trying to decide on the types of fish I am going to get. I like the Midas Cichlid but I've heard they are aggresive toward other fish when they have a mate. Would one Midas work well in a community tank without a mate? Are there any fish it would eat or be especially aggressive towards? Also, how much does a Midas usually cost to buy and maintain? Thanks.

BlueGnoll
sebastian
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
if you want kepp midas in comunity tank it must be the comunity of cichlids similiar by size and aggressivnes to midas in other case the midas will kill the other fishes ,and the second thing is that the 55 gallon is quite to small even for one midas

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Posts: 69 Location: Sacramento,Cali.
i think a 55gal. will be o.k. for a small midas.....right here in Sacramento, Cali....i can buy midas from $3.00 to $7.00....
littlebluegnoll
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 12 Jun 2006 Posts: 2
Thanks for your replies. What types of cichlids would you recommend to go with a midas?

Blue
ray
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 18
hi blue,

i prefer female or male convicts! You need some caves for the convicts to hide. I have no problems with them together in one tank!!

Greetings Ray
Fish_King
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:58 am Reply with quote
i would say the only other cichlid that u want to put with the midas is the red devil....i know they are similar but thats the thing...they are similar so they can get along better....but i would say a midas is not a community fish so i prefer to keep it by itself in a big tank... but thats just my opinion Confused
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Actually Fishking, I'd say a Managuense, flowerhorn, trimac, or even a Butticofferi would be ok. Then again, you're always taking a chance either way, which is why I've always kept solitary fish as pets.

Seriously tho, any of those fish I mentioned (espeically the Tilipia Butticofferi from Africa) have the same temperment as a midas or rd. Don't let Managuense's fool you just because they are mellow sometimes. And whatever you do, never underestimate Butticofferi. They are just as bad hombres as Rd's and Midas's. Twisted Evil

This is my 2nd favorite fish besides Central Americans... These guys are like Pit Bulls!!! Twisted Evil
Fish_King
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
oh yea huh...u r right...even at the stores i see most managuense and RDs together inside tanks... Very Happy