Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  finally got 75 g

red_devil_man
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 94
I finally got my 75 gallon.Tonight i will add water and when the temperture is right i will empty a bottle of aquasafe in thier.after 30 minutes i will add my 5 inch reddevil.will this be safe.Also what other fish can go wit my reddevil for now.Would another juv reddeviil be alright in there with my reddevil. Question

please respond thank you
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
NO, DONT ADD YOUR FISH TONIGHT!!! The tank needs to be cycled first! This is very important. Although you can probably throw him in with no problems if you feed very very very lightly for the first week, I would definitely cycle the tank first! Exclamation

If I was you, I would buy a bottle of "Cycle" and add 3 or 4 cheap fish to start the nitrogen cycle first. You can also do this by adding some gravel from your own tank (if it's the same color) or by addins some water from your old tank. If you are using any of the Marineland Power filters with the "bio wheels" you can use them to colonize the tank with the right bacteria to start the nitrogen cycle.

I would strongly suggest you wait atleast one week before adding your RD to the tank. Oh and here is the product I was talking about. Add this to your tank after your water conditioner.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3983&N=2004+112990

As far as another fish with your devil in a 75 goes, that depends on how many rocks you have in the tank and whether or not your RD was living alone before or not. Has he already been living alone before? Or did he always have a tankmate?
red_devil_man
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
I wont be getting my filter for about a week.would it be alright in the 75 gallon with aeriation.water circulation(bubbles)
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
No bro, this is a living thing we are talking about. This is all biological process of nature im talking about. If you arn't familiar with the nitrogen cycle, you really should read about it.

To make a long story short, there are many bacteria that live in your filter and in the gravel of your tank. These bacteria convert Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. Nitrate is not harmful to your fish in small doeses but Amonia and Nitrite are. Ammonia is cause by fish wastes, uneaten food, and the general biological process that takes place in the tank. Ammonia is also in the tap water, but your chemicals most likely take care of that.

Basically what will happen if you put your fish in the tank and feed him like you always do is there is not enough good bacteria in your tank to break down the fish wastes. When this happens your ammonia level goes sky high and it can kill your fish.

What I would do if I was you (since you dont have the filter anyway) is buy like 5-10 feeder goldfish or guppies and put them in the tank. Feed them very little the first week then feed them like you think you should. These fish break in the nitrogen cycle of your tank, so your Red Devil doesn't have to. If anything goes wrong, those cheap fish die, not your red devil. Oh and dont forget to buy that bottle of "Cycle" I told you about in the link.

I know you want to throw him in the tank but trust me on this, cycle the tank first by:
1. Buy the "Cycle" bacteria chemicals from your LFS
2. Put them into the tank along with your water conditioner.
3. Add a few fish into the tank and keep them for one or 2 weeks
4. Buy a test kit for your tank that checks for these stats:

Ammonia
Nitrite
PH

These are the 3 main water parameters you should check for the first 3 months for a brand new tank.

So go to your LFS and ask them about the "Nitrogen cycle" and they'll explain it to you. Also pick up a Test kit to check your water quality and the Cycle bacteria!

Here's a link that basically explains what it is. http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm

Just trust me and dont add that rd untill you cycle the tank. The bottle of "Cycle should do the trick in about 3-4 days. But to be sure, I would add the bottle and add atleast a few fish to the tank and test the water before adding him.
red_devil_man
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
thanks man i appreciate im glad u told me before i did it.Do u have yahoo or msn so u can tell me more i dont kno
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
No yahoo but I do have msn but thats for my gaming peeps. I used to have aol. Just talk here.

Anyhow I hope you got a bottle of cycle and are running carbon in a filter through your tank. You're RD is going to love that tank all to himself! Wink

I'm going to get between an 80 to 100 gallon for my guy.
red_devil_man
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
nice fish.I bought a bottle of cycle and poured it and i now have my 5 inch reddevil in my 75. Wink He loves it and wasent in the tank five minutes and started flaring up at my 9 inch pleco. Twisted Evil I am thinking about adding a blood parrot would this work
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. You have a filter running in there with carbon too? If you do, then wait a few days then add another fish. The parrot fish is fine. After about a week, (since you used the cycle) it's safe to add your RD. Just make sure your baby RD and Pleco and whatever other fish you add are doing well and there are no signs of diesease.

Just make sure you test the PH, Nitrite, and Ammonia after a week goes by before you add the RD. Since you used the cycle, you only really have to wait a week imo. Is the Pleco the only other fish that's going in with him?

If you can, take a pic of the tank, I'd love to see it man! Wink