Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Growth tank.

jaguar
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
two months ago i placed a order with my local fish shop for small red devils . they have just arived and i now have five dark orange devils that are about three inches. i want to raise them into one pair and try save the rest to resell. i have placed all five in a hundered gallon tank with tones of hiding places but they all seem to have gathered in one conner while the largest one controls the rest of the tank. will i be able to get out a pair before they kill each other. how big do they need to be before they breed.
sebastian
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
maybe you have all males??? or maybe your hide places aren't good for them ,midas and rd can breed when they are something about 15 cm 6 inch

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
I can tell you that you dont have much time befor some of them get seriously injured. 100 gallon tank is doable for only two midas/RD

You can wait to see if any will pair off, but buy the time it MIGHT happen your tank will be extremly overstalked!
jaguar
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
what i have done is divided two tanks into three places and i am keeping them all seperate. i do not want to put them all into a 250 gallon tank witch i am saving for the pair that i will hopefuly get out of the pair. once they get bigger i will sex them and attempted to pair them threw dividers.
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
using a divider will keep them from hurting each other yes, but then how are they going to pair off? Then need to be around each other for the male to find "his" female!