Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  General Freshwater aquarium help  ~  Mix my midas with African cichlids

Bryan B
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
I have read that the Midas can thrive in varying water conditions, respectively low or high pH and soft or hard water. I would like to mix my midas with African cichlids, leaning more toward the low end of their water parameters, ie, 7.8 Ph., and relatively hard . I've read that some typically aggressive cichlids can cohabitate with different breeds okay as long as they are not of similar color and shape. I understand the midas is tough, but those Lake Mal./Tang. Africans are real warriors themselves. I'd like to lean toward the less aggressive end of the spectrum though, thus, if my Africans don't mess with Mr. Midas, will he leave them alone or nag them into war out of habit? The good news here is that I have not stocked my tank yet, a 300 gallon with a lone red zebra African Cichlid and a clown loach, and the little Midas was an impulse buy from the LFS and is in a quarentine by himself. If you support my proposed African/American mixing idea, maybe you could suggest some good tank mates. I have a new found interest in Tanganykians, and want a cool mix of very different body types, etc. What do you think?

Thank you for your time and advice.

- Bryan B
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
Hi Bryan,

It is alway said that its never a wise choice to mix native fish together.
Altho in my 7 years of fish keeping I have seen people try this numerous times.

Some have had no problems, while others have had many.
You have a great sized tank to experiment with.

The fact that you added the midas after the two current fish, the midas should not harm them, he has entered their home.
The loach may end up as a snack once midas gets larger, they arent as fast as most other fish.

I think if you keep midas in with with others, you should keep the different species count to minimal.

I am not going to garuntee this, nor to I suggest mixing midas with anything other than its own, but you seem to really want to try...I think almost anyone else would agree its all about trial and error when it comes to compatibility. Midas all have different personalities and temperment levels, you will have to try it to know it:)

I hope that helps.

Nice to see you posting on midas forum:)