Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Flower Horn Cichlid & Hybrids  ~  beef hart

jaguar
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
is there any major problem with feeding a flowerhorn beef hart only.
that is all my one seems keen on eating. i also need him to pack on some size at a fast rate so that i can try get him to breed with a very aggresive female midas who gave him a beating last week.
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
I wouldn't suggest feeding only beef heart, beefheart lacks the other important nutrients that cichlids need in their diet.

Cichlids main diet should be cichlid pellets.

I would suggest adding th pellets into his tank, if after 10 minutes he does not eat them, take them out and try again in the evening. Again if he doesn't eat them take them out. Do this for several days until he is hungry enough to eat the pellets, feed them only for a week or so, then re introduce the beaf heart as a treat once a week. Also see if your midas will eat veggies, such as cucumber zuccini, remove the seeds (hard on the digestive system) other TREATS blood worms, cleaned earth worms krill

I know it sounds cruel, starving the fish (trust me they can safely go ALOT longer than that with out eating) But I'm saying this with the best of my heart that its highly important to get him onto the pellets Smile

Good luck keep us posted! Smile

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
it is now eight days sinces my flower horn ate. will be honest mybe beefhart aint that good but it has got to be better than letting him starve. how much longer can i leave him before i need to worry
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Have you tried a different type of pellet?

See I feed my midas tetra carnivor stick (cichlid pellets) The shop was out when I went to buy some so I picked up cichlid spirulina stick, he would not touch them, he went a week, never ate them. Finally the store got the tetra sticks back, sure enough when I put them in he gobbled them up in seconds. There are many types of cichlid pellets the veggie type (most cichlid dont eat them) and other, try different ones, see what he likes.

If it continues that he wont eat them after you've tried others then go back to the beef heart, but also offer blood worms, earth worms and try the chunks of veggies.

HTH!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
i have tried tetra dormin i think witch hear in South Africa is more expensive than feeder fish and trout high protein pellets and he just will not take either. i used to uses a seafood and veg mix for my midas pair but swithed them to pellets due to the fact that i was sick and tried of choping frozen food every week. shoul i try to go back on this mix for this brat of a fish.
spaceman
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
my female flower horn absolutely will not eat anything that is not alive. the male will but if i starve them than she will grow weak and he will probably kill her. so this is what i do beef heart is OK but if you are not adding vitamins to the beef hart. then your fish will grow malnourished and become stunted. so maybe give this a try, next time you mix your beef heart add some cichlid pellets to it. and a little bit of garlic, cause this makes them feed more. add some multivitamins to it. go with adding just a tiny bit. in the beginning, as your fish gets accustomed to it reduce the amount of beef heart in the mix by putting more flake or pellet into it.

have you tried frozen foods?

personally i feed my guys just night crawlers and prawns. and they are doing just fine. great size and colour. and he actually lives with his female in one tank with no divider.

I'll dig up one of those fancy beef heart recipes for you!

space
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
If he is still not eating then I suggest going back to the beaf heart, you will need to soak them in vitamins.

I still hope that you can somehow get him back to pellets.

Have you also tried krill?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
this fish is driving me mad the only thing that he will eat now is blood worms he will not even touch the beef hart now and still no pellets. he will not even eat crickets or silk worms this fish is very close to being sold. could he have got sick and lost his appite due to the long period of not eating. will a diet several frozen foods like blood worms krill and brine shrip work.
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
No he woulnt have gotten sick from this. Cichlid can go longer than that.

Yes it will work, keep him from starving, but he wont end up with the proper nutrients. If this is all he will eat soak them in vitamins.

Keep trying with the pellets.