Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Flower Horn Cichlid & Hybrids  ~  im new and i just wanna ask sumthin..

whitefangdhx
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 4 Location: Israel; Home Country - Philippines
hello everyone!! im new here in the furom and i hope im welcome here. lols..ive read the forum topics and im interested to raise this kind of fishes(cichlids) when i go back to the Philippines..

i already saw FH almost 3yrs ago just a couple of days b4 i left my country coz my friend bought in one of the fish shops in Manila. they are beautiful fishes but ddnt caught my interest then till yesterday while surfing and came up reading the forum. ill be going home this coming february and planning to raise some pretty fish, but before buyin, i just want to ask few questions.. can i?

-how to differentiate FH from trimac??
-how to know if its a high quality fish or not?
-how many should i buy? 2, 3 or4??
-whats the to best to buy? the FH, Trimac, Midas or what? any suggestions here...
-is frontosa a nice specie to raise also??
-is it advisable to put them in a small pond?

ill just ask more questions soon.. God Bless.. thanx!!

whitefang
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
Hi welcome to the site!

How many fish you buy, depends on the tank size.
55 gallon- 1 of either fish on your list
100 -110gallon two of the fish on your list

Yes the frontosa are beautiful fish:
http://frontosa.com/gallery/gallerydisplay.cfm/2648/
check out that site, but again these fish get to be around 12-14" and require a large tank.

When you figure out what size tank, let us know and we can tell you how to properly stock it:)

Dont forget about cycling your tank, as that is very important!

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
whitefangdhx wrote:

-how to differentiate FH from trimac??
-how to know if its a high quality fish or not?
-how many should i buy? 2, 3 or4??
-whats the to best to buy? the FH, Trimac, Midas or what? any suggestions here...
-is frontosa a nice specie to raise also??
-is it advisable to put them in a small pond?

I try to answer as much as I can:

- how to differentiate FH from trimac?? FH (Flowerhorn) is hybrid fish between large Central American cichlids. Trimac is a real species Amphilophus trimaculatus. The reason that FH and Trimac sometimes look similar because FH have high percentage of Trimac genes. I think the appearance tell you nothing, you should ask the seller if they have pure species or just hybrid.

- how to know if its a high quality fish or not? hard question, I think the fish have high quality should be healthy, colorful and in good shape. In case of FH, it is big nuchal hump and pearl dots.

-how many should i buy? 2, 3 or4?? Like Midas, you should keep only 1 fish in a tank. If you want to keep a pair then you have to use divider. You also can buy 4-5 juveniles, wait until a pair forms then remove the others.

-whats the to best to buy? the FH, Trimac, Midas or what? any suggestions here... Ofcourse, it is RD?Midas - LONG LIVE THE RED DEVIL/MIDAS! Laughing

-is frontosa a nice specie to raise also?? Yes they are. But they grow so slowly and shy. I can't watch them cause they always hiding behind rocks. (While my RD always show up).

-is it advisable to put them in a small pond? Ha ha, this is the point that FH never compare to RD/Midas. You can keep a group of RD/Midas in a pond. Remember that Koi with red-orange-white color is perfect fish to watch from the above and so do RD/Midas. (While FH and other fish with dark back are not good for it).

Hope this will help.
whitefangdhx
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 4 Location: Israel; Home Country - Philippines
thanx for replying fishylover and daint...

ill buy maybe as much as i can since some of those fishes could be place on a pond.. thanx for giving me an idea on whats the best fish to buy. i think ill buy RD, Midas and Frontosa soon.. for how long would the frontosa get to its max size, i mean how many years?? does RD and Midas multiply too fast?? are they hardcore? i mean about diseases and will not die easily... sorry for my noob questions..lols.. i really just want to gather infomations b4 everything will happen soon..

thanx again guys, i really appreciate your ideas..

GOD BLESS

whitefang
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
frontosa grow to max size in a little over a year.
But let me tell you once they do, they are gorgeous.

Where do you live? Weather change and cold fronts wont harm your fish in a pond?

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
f1shyl0ver wrote:
frontosa grow to max size in a little over a year.
But let me tell you once they do, they are gorgeous.

Where do you live? Weather change and cold fronts wont harm your fish in a pond?

thanx a lot.. by the way, im from the Philippines.. i stated it already on my first msg..

wow. i cant wait to go home to the Philippines and buy these pretty fishes. i think our climate there is fine with these kind of fishes..tropical climate.

so, midas, RD and frontosa are the best choice for the pond and trimac and FH in a tank??