Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  new project

red_devil_man
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 94
I am starting a new 55 gallon project.I am ordering a pure reddevil labiatus when im done with the project.I am going to build a stand,and order the tank.for filtration i am using two magnum 250 filters.I am using a penguin 300gph powerhead,for subtrate i am using black sand to make the colors of my pure red devil stand out.I am ordering the fish at 6-7 inches.the fish is wild caught from lake nicaragua.It will cost me $65 for the fish not including shipping.does this all sound good.
g$$$
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 29
55 gal is too small. 75 or 125 is absolutely better. I know 55 gals are cheap at walmart but to spend that much on a fish the better tank is a necessity.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
g$$$ wrote:
55 gal is too small. 75 or 125 is absolutely better. I know 55 gals are cheap at walmart but to spend that much on a fish the better tank is a necessity.

Someone aught to ban you before you make an ass out of yourself like you did at cichlids.com. Evil or Very Mad

As to the poster,I would definitely get between a 75 to a 90 gallon tank. There is absolutely no need for a 125 gallon. While bigger is always better, a 125 is just too impractical for one fish of this size Imo. With a 90 gallon tank, you also leave yourself open to alot more possiblities in fish. You can keep nearly every large Guaptote (except for Dovi, Umbies, and Bay Snooks) in there as a solitary wetpet. Anything from Midas to flowerhorns, trimacs, Jags, etc. Oh and your butticoffer would love the 90 gallon! Goodluck! Very Happy
g$$$
Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Surprised

Last edited by g$$$ on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Red Devil Man, Pm me if you think you need a 125 gallon tank for a fish of this size. Some people are misinformed and have no business posting. Dont listen to them. Laughing
sandtiger
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 22 Oct 2006 Posts: 7 Location: New York
Anyway...I think yes, you could house your fish in a 55g. It will not be easy, I would only suggest a 55g as the minimum. You're going to have a lot of work cut out for you...lots of tank cleanings but it is doable. If you can I urge you to consider a 75g. It's 6" wider than a 55g, not that much more expensive and will give your fish more turning space and water to dilute the waste.
daint2003
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
red_devil_man wrote:
I am starting a new 55 gallon project.I am ordering a pure reddevil labiatus when im done with the project.I am going to build a stand,and order the tank.for filtration i am using two magnum 250 filters.I am using a penguin 300gph powerhead,for subtrate i am using black sand to make the colors of my pure red devil stand out.I am ordering the fish at 6-7 inches.the fish is wild caught from lake nicaragua.It will cost me $65 for the fish not including shipping.does this all sound good.

All sounds good. I even keep a pair in about 60 gallon tank with a divider. No problem.
spaceman
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
your Midas will eventually get to big for your 55. although you may be able to keep your pair in that 55 it will have detrimental effects down the line. not to mention if you don't keep up with your STRICT maintenance schedule, you will end up with fish that will be stunted. and if it gets stunted it is a major shame that your putting a wild caught fish into such a small tank.

ultimately it is your decision, but you did ask us for our opinions!

and my opinion is that a 55 is just too small. and i guarantee that you will never see fourteen inches out of him.

i'm sure you will agree that fourteen inch cichlids are simply breath taking!!

if i may ask how long have you kept larger cichlids?

space
daint2003
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
spaceman wrote:
your Midas will eventually get to big for your 55. although you may be able to keep your pair in that 55 it will have detrimental effects down the line. not to mention if you don't keep up with your STRICT maintenance schedule, you will end up with fish that will be stunted. and if it gets stunted it is a major shame that your putting a wild caught fish into such a small tank.

ultimately it is your decision, but you did ask us for our opinions!

and my opinion is that a 55 is just too small. and i guarantee that you will never see fourteen inches out of him.

i'm sure you will agree that fourteen inch cichlids are simply breath taking!!

if i may ask how long have you kept larger cichlids?

space

Hi spaceman, I have kept RD since Jan 2003. I have few spawns and a pair in my 55 gallon tank is the third generations I have. They are born in 8/2005 and moved to that tank in 1/2006. The male size is growing up to about 22 cm and female 15 cm. You can find their pictures in Photo Gallery of this forum.

I do believe "bigger is better" and we should feed large cichlids in large tank as always advised. But sometimes we have no choice. My house is too small while I don't want to give up in keeping RD. My RDs reach about 25 - 27 cm after 1-2 year and it is normal adult size. Yes, my RD never reach 14 inches. Small pace can be one reason but not all. 14 inches in RDs is extra large and I don't think all RDs can reach that size even kept in open pond.
spaceman
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
good point. daint. i'm just advising against, because life troughs you it's curveballs and if you just happened to be too busy to keep up your schedule you could get bad spikes in your nitro cycle. thus providing the opportunity for a stressful environment. i don't mean to offend here. just my experience is that fish kept in smaller tanks aren't as comfortable as fish kept in larger tanks. thus tend to be more sickly.

just some friendly advice

space
g$$$
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
This thread has been dead for a while, but I still find it funny how people who can't keep cichlids longer than a few months would even post as if they had experience. Advice to keep midas or rd's in 125 or larger is based on experience and sound fish keeping practices. Anyone who would keep 10 rd in a tiny tank has no business keeping fish. I have adult rd's in 150 and they are brilliant. Then, I know what I am doing and have been doing it for over 25 years. Spaceman- good advice. daint - good luck.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote
Sorry but anything over a 90 gallon tank is just too impractical for even one large 12-16 inch fish imo and I'll CONTINUE to stand by my opinion. You want to keep some big dithers, and maybe a pleco, then I could understand having a 125. You want to buy a tank that leaves more possibilities open for you?, I can understand that. But for any solitary "Wet Pet" even at 16 inches, a 90-100 gallon is more then enough space. Then add the fact that most solitary fish keepers keep solo specimens in tanks that are usually pretty bare and light on decorations, your tank is gonna look too big as it is already. Again, no knowledgeable Fishkeeper would argue that a 90 gallon tank with an 18 inch depth isn't more then enough space for a single Large cichlid!!! Rolling Eyes

Oh and yes bigger may be always better, but not if it's unrealistic as it is in this case. Yeah, that's right, I may be the only one here who isn't afraid to say this. Never the less, all 3 times I mentioned this, not a single person on a forum hasn't completely disagreed. A 90 gallon is more then your Midas, Rd, Jag, Butticofferi, Oscar, Timac and Flowerhorn will ever need to live out a healthy life and in a very spacious environment. As a matter of fact and for the most part, the only CA cichlids that you would be excluded from that come to mind would be Dovi's, Umbies, and Bay Snooks.

I might be able to see someone justifying a 115 dedicated solely for a large Trimac, FH or Midas. But If all you plan on doing is keeping a single fish in there and you start thinking you need more then a 115, I'd say you're overdoing it way more then you need to.
spaceman
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
well there is only one more thing that i have to add on this subject. if you find that you have no choice but to keep a large wild caught fish in a small tank, the responsible thing to do would be to find a larger tank or find the fish a more adequate home. the tank in question is too small for a wild caught fish!!!!!!!!!!! if the fish in question were tank raised it may be a difrent situation. but this is not the matter at hand here the matter at hand is a large wild caught fish in a tank smaller than minimum recommended tank size.

besides i don't believe in keeping wild caught fish! there is enough breeders out there that we don't need to deplete natural stocks.

good luck with your wild caught midas.

space
g$$$
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Reason enough for a big tank. 150 gallon tall. Just crowded enough to spread out the aggression. The Large Male Green Terror is now in a tank by himself as "Mr. Lumpkin" took to pounding him. The orange female midas is not in there anymore either.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yes I agree, that is more then enough reasons for having a bigger tank. However, the topic creator was refering to keeping a single solitary specimen as a wet pet. Although I would personally go with atleast a 90, a 75 is perfect for a single male Midas.

Either way, that is a very sweet CA/SA community tank. I couldn't imagine the bioload that all those fish must have put into that 150 at the time tho. In the end, and with the right filtration and upkeep, it is perfectly acceptable as long as strict attention is paid to the nitrogen cycle and water changes.