Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  why

iluvmypets
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 05 Oct 2006 Posts: 1
[b][i] ok here is the deal i have an oscar that was in a 30 gal and i decided to try him in my 55 gal and in the 55 there is one midas ciclid a few convicts approx 3 and another fish which i think is a midas to . now the big midas which i call mighty he was attacking my oscar, now today is the third day i decided to take out mighty and put him in my 30 gal . should i still be putting in melafix in the 55 where the oscar is ?and if so for how long do i keep adding the melafix? and what does it mean when a midas digs?will my mighty be ok in a 30 gal by himself?[/i][/b]
sandtiger
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 22 Oct 2006 Posts: 7 Location: New York
iluvmypets wrote:
ok here is the deal i have an oscar that was in a 30 gal and i decided to try him in my 55 gal and in the 55 there is one midas ciclid a few convicts approx 3 and another fish which i think is a midas to . now the big midas which i call mighty he was attacking my oscar, now today is the third day i decided to take out mighty and put him in my 30 gal . should i still be putting in melafix in the 55 where the oscar is ?and if so for how long do i keep adding the melafix? and what does it mean when a midas digs?will my mighty be ok in a 30 gal by himself?

No, the Midas will not be alright in the 30g, nor will the fish in the 55g. You must choose one fish for the 55g, the oscar or one of the Midas. Both species grow over a foot long. You can keep two of the convicts in the 30g, they grow up to about 4-6".
spaceman
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
yes your choices of fish well out grow your tanks. your Midas will kill your Oscar and in my opinion is a cruel thing to do to that Oscar.

i agree you must make a decision either get rid of a fish or get a larger tank.

if you only have a 55 or smaller you have to take into account you as the fish keeper are obligated to provide the best care possible. thank god they aren't wild caught.

i would recommend that you separate those fish before one dies.

melafix has instructions on the side of the bottle the treatment is usually done in one week increments.

if you are treating wounds inflicted by the Midas i'd use salt.

space