Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Can adult RD scratch acrylic tank with teeth?

9000rpm
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Dec 2006 Posts: 2
I have a 240 gallon acrylic tank that I am thinking about breeding Red Devils in (One breeding pair, and I would expect that the fish would eventually get HUGE in my tank). I have had RDs in the past with glass tanks. I know how they can "attack" the glass when someone gets close to the tank. Anyone have a problem with the fish scratching an acrylic tank with their "teeth"?
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
How's it going man, and welcome to the forums! Cool

Yes RD and Midas cichlids most definitely will scratch an arcryilic aquarium. The only good thing about this is that you will not be able to see the scratches with the light off at all, but you will see them with it on. Just keep it mind tho, that the scratches won't be so deep and eventually you will have teeth marks all over the front of the glass so atleast it will be somewhat even lol. My 60 gallon Plexi has teethmarks all over the front and the 2 sides!

This is also something that I'm thinking about as well. I'm trying to decide between a Plexi and a Glass 90 gallon. Even tho the Plexi is more expensive and even tho I know it will scratch, I'll still prob go with the Plexi over the glass. Why? Because the Plexi is lighter and much more safer due to the fact that it is all ONE PEICE that has been bonded together. With a plexi, you dont need to worry about leaks. And to be honest with you, I'd rather put up with the light scratches and have the peice of mind.

Oh and one more thing, the salt and mineral deposits that you get on regular glass and on the top of filters such as power filters and power heads DOES NOT form on arcrylic the same way it does on normal glass. It wipes off very easily with a damp cloth, sponge or even your hand! As a matter of fact, all I do is dip my fingers into the water and gently wipe the top and underside of the hood/cover and it's all gone! If you ever had to scrape this crud of filters or glass tanks, you know how much of a hassle this can be. Let's just say this is a welcomed advantage acryclic tanks have over glass tanks. Along with the saftey factor of course! Cool

In the end, I still think I'm going to get an arcrylic tank, even tho the fish I choose to keep will ultimately scratch it up a lil bit with their teeth. Just remember, the scratchin is very very light, and really isn't too bad tho. GoodLuck! Smile
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Here is a picture of my arcrylic 60 gallon tank. It's pretty hard to see but it has been scratched up pretty badly by nearly a half dozen Red Devils, Jaguars, and Butticofferis. Kinda hard to see any scratches in that pic, huh?

9000rpm
Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Dec 2006 Posts: 2
Thanks for the info. I've had this acrylic tank for 4 years and I do have peace of mind when it comes to leaks. I had a 125 gallon glass tank that started leaking at a top corner due to a pychopathic Queen Trigger literally tearing out chunks of silicone from it. Luckily it was at the top of the tank and a simple fix. Triggerfish.... Cichlid attitude- with teeth.
spaceman
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
I've had both and i find that cichlids in general are very hard on tanks with the scratch factor. every tank I've ever had cichlids in is scratched all up. regardless of makeup.

space
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
There was actually this guy on another forum who made it point to argue with me. Dosen't matter tho, because he is dead wrong. Cichlids are fully capable of scratching up an arcrylic tank with their teeth. Especially FH, Trimacs, Jags, RD/Midas, Butties, Dovies, Texas, and any other large cichilid.