Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  New 640 gal midas tank

oftalmos
Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 19 Dec 2006 Posts: 1
Hi...this is a really cool site

I just wanted to share that this week my new aquarium is going to be finished...
i have been working on it around 8 months.

I have around 60 midas that were born in my previous 150 gal tank and i have to say that they are getting pretty well...they fight sometimes but all the fish are ok...i just put a lot of caves and everything ...but im running out of space...

I think this fish and all cichlids are not agressive if they are in the proper place...i mean if people put this fish on a comunity 50 gal tank they are going to fight until someone is dead...but if each one a have a cave and a place to swim they gett pretty well..im sure on nature we dont see midas killing each other for space because each one have its own place...but in the aquarium they dont have an option ......they have nowhere to go...

My new midas aquarium is 3.40m x 120 wide x 75 tall but the water is going to be only 63 tall because the tank have a fiberglass braces that if i put more water its not going to flow as it should...

Anyway i hope when they are full grown they have enogh space.... but i really dont think on a long term the tank is going to be enough...some midas are around 3 inches and some 4 to 5...but when they are going to be 8 or more inches im shure its going to be a complete different story...

Im sure im not going to have any problems with the filtration i hope everything is going to work as planned

Anyway when i finish the aquarium and move all the midas to its new home im going to buy a camera and try to post some pictures to share on this site...this is the right place to do that...
pouyan
Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 17
hi
according to studies of experts in Midas cichlid field the adult male of midas need 4 cicrcles that each one has 50 cm diameter for it's realm in nature
hope new tank have a good chance 4 u

good luck

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
dude that would be the coolest thing i would see in a long time to come!!
though i would tend to agree with you about the overcrowding of your tank still. lol but i'm sure that you could have at least three pairs in there. maybe they would act like frontosa, with an alpha and a beta then a harem of females. that would be killer!!

space
clevy
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Posts: 14 Location: Indy
Sounds like an awesome set up. Share some pics. Smile