Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Flower Horn Cichlid & Hybrids  ~  Where does the super red color come from?

daint2003
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Hi, do you see the red color in blood parrots? Recently, I have heard that red color in some FH strains such as Super Red, Red Monkey or Red Texas are coming from Red Parrots. I have not seen any pure cichlid that is as red as them. So, can anyone tell me where the red color in red parrots come from?
htn86
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 11 Mar 2006 Posts: 8
Since blood parrots are hybrids...nobody is sure of what it derrives from. I've heard it's a mix of midas and flowerhorn. If you think about it...it kinda makes sense that it got its physical appearance from these two specie of fishes. It's only a theory though.
daint2003
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
daint2003 wrote:
Hi, do you see the red color in blood parrots? Recently, I have heard that red color in some FH strains such as Super Red, Red Monkey or Red Texas are coming from Red Parrots. I have not seen any pure cichlid that is as red as them. So, can anyone tell me where the red color in red parrots come from?

I have kept Red Parrot, Red Monkey and SRS for a time (you may see some pictures of my fish in this forum). Now I can tell you the truth behind all so-call "Super Red" species that they are only red for a very short time (about 1-2 days every month, the rest they are very pale).

At the fish shops, they keep them permanently red by adding Carophyll Pink 10% (consisting of astaxanthin) into fish food so if you buy them home then feed them with natural food, the red color will go away.

I feed my fish with frozen shrimpt. I think they are supplied enough carotein that the red come out but doesn't always work at all time (but it works with RD). You see my fish red because I took pictures at their best time.

I think you should mind this before you go buying any "super red" fish. By the way, they are not really red so now I can guess they are hybrid of pink fenetratus or bifasciatus.
spaceman
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
from what I've read the cross is of a convict and a Midas, then bread through to bring out the certain colours. other articles state that they are crossed with a flower horn. witch then only leaves us to speculation as flower horns are hybrids them selves. i have also read that the synspilum is involved as well. then other articles will describe the very cruel proses of painting a fish.

space