Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  midas and pleco

bowlabudah
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 28 Jan 2007 Posts: 3
I have a 55 gallon tank with one male midas. I put a large plecostomus in the tank and all was fine until a couple hours later, my midas started attacking it. I hate seeing green on the glass, so is there anyway I could let the two live together without the plecostomus being killed.
spaceman
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 28 Sep 2006 Posts: 46 Location: trail b.c. canada
i would try putting a cave in the tank as a refuge for the pleco. he may get tattered up a bit but they may get use to another. even if you do get them to coexist some plecos just wont eat algae.

space
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
My experience tells me that unless you have atleast a 150 gallon tank and a huge cave/refuge for your pleco to hide, it's not going to work. Every single Pleco I have ever kept has been killed by every Midas or Red Devil I've had. Personally, I'd forget about the pleco entirely. I sure as hell will never try keeping a pleco with a Rd or a Midas ever, ever, again. And why keep a pleco when they do more harm then good? Seriously, any algae that pleco eats off the sides of the glass, ornamants, etc, doesn't justify the amounts of waste they produce if fed a steady diet of algae waffers.

So I would go with a big NO on the pleco, especially in that small of a tank....... That's my opinion, sorry. Sad
armac
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Posts: 40 Location: McAllen, Texas
I keep plecos with al my red devils. no problems. You need a bigger pleco.
bowlabudah
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I made a cave for the pleco and he has been fine for a couple days. I dont think he has left the cave yet, is that bad if he just stays there? Does anyone know if my midas will eventually give in to letting the pleco swim around the whole tank? The pleco is really big if that makes a difference.
spaceman
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
just don't be too worried if he is not out in the day or when the lights are on. as plecos are nocturnal.

i keep plecos with my flowerhorn with is most likely a large portion midas/red devil and never had a problem.

but we all know that difrent fish = difrent disposition.

space
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
armac wrote:
I keep plecos with al my red devils. no problems. You need a bigger pleco.

Lucky you man! Cool However I still wouldn't advise it, especially in that size of a tank. I think a bigger pleco would last longer but considering the fact that they usually stop at 12 inches (for the common plecos) I think it would last longer then getting a smaller one. Eventually tho, I think once the Midas reaches even close to his size, he will become a plaything in the end.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. And I wouldn't even consider a pleco with a single Midas....even in a 150. But that's just me. Goodluck with whatever the topic creater chooses to do tho. Wink
spaceman
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
t.t.b. makes a good point! IMO a 55 is too small a tank for an adult midas let alone a full grown pleco on top. you should look into a powerful filter to deal with the bio load.

good luck though

space
bowlabudah
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So far it has been a couple weeks since I put the two together, the pleco is still alive, but I have not seen him leave his cave. My midas is doing everything in his power to get in the cave, he actually dug his way in sideways yesterday so I had to re-design the cave and so far so good. Im wondering if my midas is over aggressive? Ever since he has been put in the 55 gallon upgrade, he freaks out when you come near his tank. He goes to the top and splashes water out of the tank. Is there anyway to make him less aggressive?
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
bowlabudah wrote:
So far it has been a couple weeks since I put the two together, the pleco is still alive, but I have not seen him leave his cave. My midas is doing everything in his power to get in the cave, he actually dug his way in sideways yesterday so I had to re-design the cave and so far so good. Im wondering if my midas is over aggressive? Ever since he has been put in the 55 gallon upgrade, he freaks out when you come near his tank. He goes to the top and splashes water out of the tank. Is there anyway to make him less aggressive?

Hey buddah,

You should be happy bro. You have a very agressive fish! My RD/Midas does the same thing splashes water all of the place and hits his head so hard on the top of the glass it sometimes keeps me up at night! Enjoy your Midas man. You'll be happier with a more agressive fish then a less agressive one. Even if you get bit (I have 5 times already and it really startled me) its all in the personality! Cool Very Happy

I'm happy to see your pleco is still alive. Please consider saving his live if your Midas gets into that cave. Good luck! Wink
spaceman
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
maybe you should use a fish bowl that the opening is too small for the Midas to get into. imo. it would be cool to see what the Midas would do if he could see the pleco, but couldn't get to him! lol
if it bothered the Midas too much you could always bury the bowl in the sand or something.

space