Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Toerag, is this what your "Big Red" looked like as

Male or Female? Citrenellus, Labiatus, or Hybrid (common red devil)?

Male  
60%
  [ 6 ]  60%

Female  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

Total Votes : 10
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Funny.......... Laughing
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
New pics just taken today:

Although he is coming along very nicely, he is only just over 6 inches or so. I bought him on May 6th of 06 and cant help but wonder if he should be growing a lil bit faster? Shouldn't he be closer to 9 inches by now? I probably feed him much more then I should and I'm not worried with water changes every single week. Any opinions?

Thanks. T.T.
g$$$
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 29
He will only reach his full potential in a larger tank.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah I know, I really wanted to try to wait till I Move out of California before buying my 90 gallon. At what point would you recommend drawing the line between taking a chance at stunting his growth and realisticly waiting to set up the new tank in my place? I sure as hell am NOT going to take any chance of stunting him. Since my 60 is 15 inches wide, about how much time in your opinion does he have left in there comfortably. Or at the very least, at how many inches would you consider the width of the tank being too crowded?

I understand the whole "sooner is better thing" but as long as he is still growing normally and has absolutely no chance at being stunted, I'd rather wait till the end of the year to buy his new home if possible. After all, the last thing I want to do is set that thing up for 3 or 4 months and then have to strip it all down, throw it in the back of a U-Haul when I leave. Personally I think 10 inches is the most I would let him stay in there since the tank is 15 inches wide. I don't think that's being too liberal do you?

My only other concern is how I'm going to bring this guy with me up North? I guess that's another topic I'll make at a later date.

Oh and contrary to what you said in the picture gallery over at cichlids.com, I didn't spell his name wrong. It's Damian! Laughing Only other way would be Damien like the kid from The Omen! Haha! Twisted Evil
g$$$
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It takes a while to stunt a fishes growth. I believe you will be fine until you move as I agree it would be to great a pain in the ass to set up a large tank, cycle it and then tear it down 2 months later. Midas are very hardy fish and He will be fine until you get moved. From personal experience, a 48" long tank by 24" by 30" high will bring midas to there full growth just as well as a 6' tank. I also believe the actual volume has something to do with it. This meaning the pressure the fishes body feels from the water above him and around him. I have never read a study or paper to prove this but I have seen it when keeping midas in a 55 gal vs a 150 gal. A 55 and a 150 gal are the same length. They grow to certain size in the 55 then when placed in the 150, they have an explosion of growth. You are correct in believing length and turn around ability is the greatest factor, 55 gal tanks are quite narrow.
My bad in his name, I thought you spelled it the other way and meant the omen boy. Embarassed Keep feeding him like you are and changing his water and he will be fine until you settle him in a larger home.
I have seen battery operated air pumps you could use for the move. If possible, save half of the tank water in sealed buckets with the gravel and aerate it also if the move will take longer than a day. You could put an airline splitter and drill holes in the lids and divide the flow with one pump You can then treat the fresh water at the new site and mix it with saved water and gravel and the cycle should not peak much as the bacteria will already be present. One fish that size does not produce that great of a bio load in a large tank. Then in a few weeks you can find him an old lady to beat on- and he will beat on her at that size until she cooperates Smile
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
g$$$ wrote:
It takes a while to stunt a fishes growth. I believe you will be fine until you move as I agree it would be to great a pain in the ass to set up a large tank, cycle it and then tear it down 2 months later. Midas are very hardy fish and He will be fine until you get moved. From personal experience, a 48" long tank by 24" by 30" high will bring midas to there full growth just as well as a 6' tank. I also believe the actual volume has something to do with it. This meaning the pressure the fishes body feels from the water above him and around him. I have never read a study or paper to prove this but I have seen it when keeping midas in a 55 gal vs a 150 gal. A 55 and a 150 gal are the same length. They grow to certain size in the 55 then when placed in the 150, they have an explosion of growth. You are correct in believing length and turn around ability is the greatest factor, 55 gal tanks are quite narrow.
My bad in his name, I thought you spelled it the other way and meant the omen boy. Embarassed Keep feeding him like you are and changing his water and he will be fine until you settle him in a larger home.
I have seen battery operated air pumps you could use for the move. If possible, save half of the tank water in sealed buckets with the gravel and aerate it also if the move will take longer than a day. You could put an airline splitter and drill holes in the lids and divide the flow with one pump You can then treat the fresh water at the new site and mix it with saved water and gravel and the cycle should not peak much as the bacteria will already be present. One fish that size does not produce that great of a bio load in a large tank. Then in a few weeks you can find him an old lady to beat on- and he will beat on her at that size until she cooperates Smile

Thanks for the advice G$$$. When I get around to the actual moving I'll post another thread regarding the issue. I only have two questions that we didn't exactly hit on:
At what length should I seriously consider getting him out of there if he explodes in the next 6 months?
Also you mentioned a 150 gallon tank. Do you honestly think that would be a better investment for me and the fish even though I have absolutely no plans on keeping anything else with him? Sorry but I was under the impression that a 90 gallon is well more then adequate for just about every South and Central american Guapote with the exceptions of Dovi and Umbis? If it will trully benefit him I will seriously consider it however.

As far as me and you go here. I'll be the bigger man here and apologise for the things I've said to you over at Cichlids.com and through PMs. Anything personal should have been taken with a grain of salt, and god knows I only said those things to get under your skin. Yes I know, I have issues as well as a serious temper that most couldn't match on thier worst day. Not saying you should forgive me for shit because I'm the kinda guy that can take grudges to their grave...so I'd totally understand either way. Anyhow, I just wanted to say my peace. Cool
g$$$
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It's all good. I never took it personal or serious Wink . I'm sorry aslo, I can get carried away with shit.

90gal should be plenty for a single fish! As far as a 150gal, It is like anything else, it all depends on how much money you want to spend. The tank itself was 500$ without the stand or hood.
You can always add a few more tough guys (species) with the bigger tank, or a female midas.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
More then likely I will get something between a 90 and 125 depending on my funds. The biggest he could get is possibly 16 inches or so, therefore a 90 appears adequate. At the same time tho, I also want him to be happy and have plenty of room. I guess we'll see in the end what all I get back from taxes this year! Laughing
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Update: May 7th 2007

Yesterday was his one year birthday! Remember I bought him at barely half an inch back on May 6 2006!

Does anyone else feel he should be bigger then this tho? I'd say hes about 7' inches I think. I didn't bother trying to measure him, its too difficult.

Still doing weekly 50% water changes every week. This guy eats like a horse tho lol. I was just wondering if anyone here thinks he should be bigger then this after 12 months? Or no?