Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  How aggressive is a Macracathus

Cichlidfever
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 26 Location: Bowie, MD
Is it possible to raise a male Macracanthus, male Grammodes, and female Festae in a 300 gallon tank? Is a Macracanthus all blue with a hump on his head? Do anyone have a picture of one? If the fish I have picked will not work, what cichlids would you suggest in a 300 gallon tank?
chancho
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
hi cichlidfever

check it out, but be very carefull A. maracanthus is very aggressive - like Amphilophus trimaculatus. Its better you keep not only 3 aggressiv fish in a 300 g tank (size pleace).

I prefer two amphilophus trimaculatus together with two amphilophus maracanthus and lots of small convicts.
Cichlidfever
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks chancho,

Not many people talk about macracanthus, I didn't think they where that aggressive. Do you know if they are blue in color? Are they nice looking? Do males develop humps on their head?
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Amphilophus macracanthus Info's:

other name Heros macracanthus or "Mojarra plateada / negra". This Amphilophus cichlid has a very huge mouth with lots of small teeth (the teeth look like strong hairs). a.m needs a strong flow in its huge tank. a.m lives together with Amphilophus trimaculatus in Chiapas. I have never seen that cichlid with a huge hump. You can keep this fish in a 300 g tank together with other Ampilophus cichlid.

Take some pics when you have them, please!!!
Cichlidfever
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the picture and info. I haven't made up my mine yet on purchasing a macracanthus, but if I do, yes I will post a picture. Thanks once again.