Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  FEEDING

shawnb269
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 17
I HAVE A MIDAS AND A BLACK OCONVICT BOTH VERY YOUNG AND STILL SMALL ABOUT 2 IN. EACH WHAT AND HOW OFTEN SHOULD I FEED THEM FOR STRONG AND HEALTH GROWTH.
Zitrone
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Sep 2005 Posts: 78 Location: Germany
Watch out this topic

http://www.flower-horn.de/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98

HighFive has been given some info's about feeding!

Weekly 1/3 clear fresh water help them to rise very healthy
HighFive
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 43 Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Now this question has posed a lot of controversy in many forums in the past. The concept that we take is numerous small meals spread out throughout the day with a great variety of wholesome feeds. This is the recommendation for smaller more active fish. Now as they grow to adulthood you want to minimize the frequency of feeding to maybe just two per day with one entire day of fasting so that it cleans their stomachs out. This process kick starts the new enzymatic production within their stomachs thus by being able to digest their food properly.

Again, I don't recommend live feeds as many do pose a certain risk of bacteria and parasitic infestation. I also don't stick with one particular feed as I have researched that not one specific feed will contain all essential proteins, vitamins, minerals and amino acids necessary for the overall betterment of your specimen. Remember also that just food will not bring out the best in your fish. You can feed the best products out on the market but without great husbandry skills (maintenance) you are only shortening the life span of your fish. To add to that remember that the larger the tank the more the fish will grow and live a longer and happier life. At the very minimum I always recommend 55 gallons for two small convicts and maybe a pleco to help maintain algae growth to a minimum. The biggest difference maker will be cleaning, maintenance of your tank, and frequent water changes. By performing these recommendations you will maintain a very clean environment of potentially dangerous bacterium and parasites. I hope these little tips help lead you in the right direction.

Marc

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Nov 2005 Posts: 71 Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
Good post HighFive, i agree fully