Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  How can my midas gets this ravishingly beautiful color?

Tilo
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I wonder about this wonderful midas fish! How can my midas get this color?

Pei
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 25
You can't do anything about it. It is up to your fish to change to adult colors.
sebastian
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
you can help your midas to achive such as colors by feeding him food with caroten

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Posts: 6
The two top pics are wild caught from Miami waters.
daint2003
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:04 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
sebastian wrote:
you can help your midas to achive such as colors by feeding him food with caroten

and also use full-spectrum light for Midas tank
armac
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Posts: 40 Location: McAllen, Texas
Dan1 wrote:

You can bet those Miami fish are eating tons of grass shrimp, hence the beautiful colors.

Good to see you Dan1, got your FH business going yet?
Dan1
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Posts: 6
armac wrote:
Dan1 wrote:

You can bet those Miami fish are eating tons of grass shrimp, hence the beautiful colors.

Its a work in progress! I'm kinda worried about shipping in the winter so right now I'm just gathering stock.I have another shipment coming in this January should be some real nice pieces. I can do presale now so before I bring in the JK's, I'll shoot you some pictures and see what you think.
armac
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 10 Dec 2005 Posts: 40 Location: McAllen, Texas
Dan1 wrote:
armac wrote:
Dan1 wrote:

Its a work in progress! I'm kinda worried about shipping in the winter so right now I'm just gathering stock.I have another shipment coming in this January should be some real nice pieces. I can do presale now so before I bring in the JK's, I'll shoot you some pictures and see what you think.

cool
Pei
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 25
Food may help, but creamsicle cichlids, those midas have to grow into their adult colors. All midas and Red Devil came in barred. Then they will slowly changed into their adult colors. Many people have tried to munipulate the midas colors by food...hope to get bright orange or certain pattern of creamsicle or other colors, so far...no luck. It also has a lot to do with good gene (parents of the midas). For instant, to get barred, you need 2 barred midas to get the color. To get red head barred midas, you will need a pair of red head barred midas. To hope for some nice pattern of creamsicle, need a pair that already has established good patterns. Of course, this doesn't guarantee you will get what you want all the time Smile
Toerag
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
I've heard all kinds of stories on color enhancement....A fella I knew in New Orleans (John, Johns Fish Shop) had beautiful cichlids....many varieties..but, the idiot had a "fish fighting" thing going on after his pet shop closed....it was similar to "dog fighting".....people would bring in their "fighter"...people would post bets and they'd both be introduced to a neutral tank...the loser lost his bet and his fish....they wouldn't let them fight to the death, or even to where one was terribly beat up, just until one became dominate....but, to make a long story short, he would take fresh beefheart and shrimp, add carrots and even all natural beta carotene from health food stores, food process it all together then freeze. Now whether this really made a difference in their color I couldn't say...but he had some beautiful fish....Red Terrors that looked incredible....vibrant orange and fire engine red Labiatums and large dark red headed Synspillum.....I tend to agree with some of the above posts..it's pretty much going to be genetics.....but, most wild caught anything seems to be more colorful....??????
Ozzy
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
lets wait to see how my midas turns out.
daint2003
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Toerag wrote:
I tend to agree with some of the above posts..it's pretty much going to be genetics.....but, most wild caught anything seems to be more colorful....??????

I think it is because of light, the wild one has shined under sun light. If fish has "red/orange gene" in it and is feeded with carotein food then the light source is needed to help skin tissue developing. My case, I gave a pair of Red Devil to my grandmother. She feed them in front yard where the sun light can reach. I came to visit her few months later, I got big surprised when a pair turns to be very colorful, I had never seen them in that color before even in breeding period. Back to my aquarium, I change normal fluorescent light by special one using for tropical fish, color of my Red Devil looks better but not as good as my grandmom' s fish. I guess it is because of the limited light spectrum and intensity as comparison to sun light. But if you decide to show your tank to sun light, you have always fight with the algae!