Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  other American Cichlids  ~  Will this work?

Cichlidfever
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 26 Location: Bowie, MD
Starting a 300 gallon tank with all cichlids about the same size approx. 1"-2". 1 (male) Grammodes, 1 Male Green Terror (Gold Saum), 1 (male) Festae), 4 (male) Pink convicts, 6 clown loaches. I like the (male) Carpintis too, so if you think that one of the cichlids mention above won't work then I can subsitute it with a Escondido. Can someone tell me what they think?
ray
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 18
Hi Cichlidfever,

300 gallons is okay! Convicts should not be the problem, if your other fish are bigger than this strong beasts. I kept young convicts together with one small green terror - they hate the green terror, but they grow up in a 100 g tank.

Nandopsis Grammodes Confused I have never kept them!

I bet Herichthys carpintis together witch Nandopsis Grammodes works well

nice fish!!

Try it and let them grown up toghter, but why clown loaches?

Greetings Ray
Cichlidfever
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Ray for the advice. I don't know why clown loaches. I just thought it would be good to have a catfish to help clean the tank. I was looking for a catfish that is active... Do you have a catfish in the tank with your Green Terror and convicts? If not, why not? I just curious, maybe I have the wrong preception about needing a catfish. By the way that is a beautiful Grammodes. That is one of my favorites. Let me know your thoughts on catfish, maybe I don't need any... Where did you get that picture of the grammodes from?
ray
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I prefer catfish like Ancistrus spec and other small cats like Panaque sp. Watch out

Fave: Panaque cf. nigrolineatus (Eating plants)

other

My GT is gone and I keep Amphilophus Citrinellus, Convicts, Amphilophus Trimaculatus, Panaque and Ancistrus together

Last edited by ray on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cichlidfever
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Why did you get rid of the Greeen Terror? How big does that Plecostamus get, and why do you like that Plecosamus over the others? Is that a Royal Plecostamus?
Cichlidfever
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Ray, didn't see the other pics before I posted my reply. All I saw at first was the Royal Plecostamus. I now see the other two. It looks like the Golden Nugget Plecostomus, and I am not sure of the other one...
ray
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Cichlidfever wrote:
Why did you get rid of the Greeen Terror? How big does that Plecostamus get, and why do you like that Plecosamus over the others? Is that a Royal Plecostamus?

my convicts and oscars decided that the gt must go Smile and I gave him to a friend.

My fave catfish is Panaque, looks cool and clean my tank very good, but the beast eats all plants. Cool
ray
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
and the cichlids accept this kind of catfish
DetroitSterlingHeights
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Clowns do great with these large cichlids and look great. I'd loose the pleco as you get crap everywhere. That male festae should be replaced (he will eventually kill everyone) with a female one and you can still add the carpinte. The GT is the big baby in the bunch, but might make it in a 300. Why don't you add a Synspilum and Midas as well - the Midas will not be a problem with these fish in a 300.
Ozzy
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
Those catfish will grow to be VERY nice Cool
Cichlidae
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Nov 2005 Posts: 71 Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
As has been said the festae will kill everything when he grows up, i realize the tanks big but the agression level of all the other fish compared to the festae isint even close. If your dead set on a festae at least go for a female, theyre more colorful but you still might have problems

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's advice. After listeninig to advice and reading, I think I will try and raise a festae (female), Grammodes (male), Escondido (male), Salvini (female), 2 pink Convicts (male), and a Synspillum (male). I will the buy several, and separate them accordingly once I can determine the sex. Can anyone tell me if this has a chance to work better as opposed to my first idea? Also, do you think it would be better to have the Synspillum a Green Terror in the tank with the species i just mentioned? Someone tell me what you think? I am getting closer to purchasing some of the species.