Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Midas compatability

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hello, I'm new to this board. I would like to get some advice on introducing a Midas to a 6 foot tank that contains an extremely large Oscar (13").

Would this be possible?

The Oscar shows no sign of aggression to any other fish, including a smaller 8" Oscar.

Do you think this would be possible, or would I need a species tank for the Midas?

Thank you.
sebastian
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
i think it wpuld be possible but watch out for the midas how big is he??????? is it male or female

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 43 Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Like sebastian said, it certainly is a possibility but all depends on the temperament of the midas at hand. For one I've personally seen a 5 inch Midas destroy a bigger sized midas and other cichlids. Also you want to provide some cover for the less dominant fish just in case there is aggression. It would provide a place of refuge in the most extremes. There are truly many factors to address as well the stress levels and anxiety of each specimen. At the very least this will provide you with some type of foundation to work with.

Marc

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Nov 2005 Posts: 71 Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
If you want to cut back the chances of extreme agression problems try a female, she will get moody when she lays eggs (which she will do without a male) but once they rot or are eaten shell be back to normal. Plus females stay smaller so youll have more room in the tank.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
just like cichlidae said it's another solution to keepa female but try with male and wrote how big midas you want to introduce into the tank???

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 25
I won't try. IME, midas can't be trusted male or female. Male just has bad temper (then all fish are different. Maybe you will get a peaceful male). Female...when goes into breed mode, no fish can get near her. Heck! I can't even get near her.