Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Midas or Labiatum? Male or Female?

sebastian
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
midas cichlid is not a hybrig it belong to the amphilophus familly like the red devil midas cichlid is amphilophus citrinellus and red devil is amphilophus labiatum

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Cichlamaniac wrote:
WOE Very Happy Daint2003 nice RD it looks like RD i dont think thats a midas.... But are midas cichlids a hybrid? Question Question

Nope a pure Midas (A. Citrinellus) is not a hybrid. Neither are pure A. Labiatus. The "Common Red Devil" sold across america are nearly all hybrids of both species tho. This is why there is so much confusion.

Personally, I call both species red devils even though I know they are two distinct species...But that's just me. Also I was never very fond of pure Labiatus. I would much rather prefer owning either a pure bred Midas, or the common hybrid of the two sold in pet stores and aquarium shops. Just because a fish is a hybrid, doesn't mean they arn't beautiful fish (well except parrot fish maybe lol) Laughing Just look at flowerhorns. Imo they are one of the sweetest looking cichlids and I plan on owning one one day.
daint2003
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
With me, Midas is A.citrinellus, Red Devil is A.labiatus or hybrid (A.citrinellus x A.labiatus). Most Red Devils sold on the market are hybrid.
-Alix-
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 3
Hiya! I'm a newbie on the forum but I've had my Midas "Leo" for four years already. In my opinion the A. citrinellus and A. labiatus are distinctly different species. The natural labiatus is yellow and the natural citrinellus is light grey&barred. The yellow Midas fish we keep are all hybrids, being called midas if they have the body of the citrinellus and red devils if they are more like labiatus. And then we have this grey area in between where you just cant tell if the fish is more one ore the other species.

The most logic thing would be to call the long-snouted and slimmer bodied A. labiatus simply Labiatus, the barred natrural A. citrinellus simple old citrinellus and everything inbetween hybrids Cool Red Devils and Midases don't sit very well with me Rolling Eyes

btw, here is a gallery of my darling Leo:
http://alix.aqua-web.org/Bilder/webgallery1/
(all pictures (c) Samu Saurama)
daint2003
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Alix,

I saw the gallery. Your fish is very beautiful. I like his solid orange color. How old is he?
sebastian
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
very beautyfull fish but are you sure that it is midas a 4 year old midas should develope hump ,and in my opinion your fish looks more like red devil ,another thing is that for example in Poland you can buy only pure midas and pure red devil but the second is not avaliable as much as midas .and how big is you fish????

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Alix,

I think Leo is actually a common "Red Devil" by the looks of him. A hybrid of both species sold through the U.S. under the common name. But like Sebastian mentioned, pure A. Citrinellus gets a much bigger hump then the Red devils most of us know and love.

Still It's a very beautiful fish I must say, I hope my current favorite grows up to look as sweet as yours! Congrats man! Very Happy

Anyways, I know the PQ *** in this pic but it was taken the first day I brought all 10 home. Since then they had a mild case if Ick, and I'm now currently keeping the remaining 6 (I gave 4 away) at 82 degrees for the past two days. Seems like they are growing much faster now. I plan on lowering it to 80F once I'm certain that the Ick parasite is completely gone. Even though I am almost positive it is. Wink

I should assume this is a common hybrid too. When sold under the name "Red Devil" this is what it most likely means. At best, it would be a pure bred Midas...and a cold day in hell you would ever find a pure bred Labiatus sold under the name "Red Devil" in your local LFS. Well, atleast in the United States anyway.

Either way you have a beautiful fish. And I love your tank! Very Happy
-Alix-
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 3
Thanks guys Cool The fact is, that he develops a hump if he is in the right surroundings. It's been a lot bigger and it has been smaller. When he lived i my hallway where we passed him a lot he attacked us and "played up" a lot and his hump was just like the hump on the forum icon fish (the one up there on the rigt Wink ). Now he lived in my den and his hump decreased surprisingly fast. But definately he is a hybrid, no doubt. And as with all hybrids they retain some traits from either species. Some have bigger humps, some longer "snouts" aso.