Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Midas or Labiatum? Male or Female? Part 2-UPDATED

Male or Female?

Male  
87%
  [ 7 ]  87%

Female  
12%
  [ 1 ]  12%

Total Votes : 8
daint2003
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Quote:
I woke up this morning, to find my two orange mophs dead!!!

Sorry to hear that. This case he may kill his last tankmate, I suggest you use a divider to separate them. About your question on RD/Midas color morph, you can read this thread from other forum: http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php?showtopic=100709
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
It's ok, stuff like this happens when anyone keeps cichlids...

I really dont plan on keeping both fish anyways, so I took her back. He is now alone with the pleco. Now my problem is that he won't eat frozen (except krill) food. He usually lets everything fall to the bottom to polute the water.

Since fish wont starve themselves to death, someone mentioned to not feed him for a few days to get him to eat the stuff. I just bought some Daphnia and he lets it all fall to the bottom. I have already wasted 4 cubes on this guy.

Any suggestions? And btw, what is Daphnia anyway? Some kinda plankton?
sebastian
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
make them more places to hide for example caves where the biggest midas can't get in

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok I think this is it. He's about to morph. He has begun to turn very dark grey and I'm sure this will be followed by black blotches and eventually a beautiful orange color!

Now if I can only get him to like Frozen food other then Krill and Blood worms.

Here are some later pictures of him taken a week ago (BEFORE TURNING DARK GREY). I'll update them once he begins to turn.

That last picture is a weird mood swing he gets into. His body will turn almost pale white, he'll display a pattern very similiar to the Barred Midas, and for some strange reason, His eyes brighten up a bright orange and it makes him look like he is possessed! It actually appears as if his eyes are glowing and he gets into this enraged state of mind. Maybe he needs an exorcism? It's actually very scary! LOL Twisted Evil

Like I said tho, He is turning very dark now, I'll update the pictures later.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
Well it's official. The early stages have just begun. At times he looks pink with extream red in the underbelly. At other times he looks like he might turn out to be white with red fins. Who knows right?

These were taken two nights ago. And like I said, sometimes his colors appear differently. He's definitely morphing different then his siblings did. This morning when I woke up, I noticed he is turning almost completely black/dark grey. All I can do now is wait and hope for the best I guess.... Neutral
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Updated 05/05/06......

This guy almost looks pink!!! I sure hope he turns a dark orange instead. Anyhow, does this look like a normal morphing pattern to you guys? Neutral
daint2003
Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
You may feed him with strong carotein food such as live shrimp to support his color. He looks more black now and it is normal when changing color.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Daint. I just wanted some feedback on to whether it was normal or not. Any chance he might turn into something as sweet looking as that fish in your avatar? Cool
sebastian
Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
even a very big chance

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
Very sad news to report....

This morning I woke up to find my fish lying dead on the carpet. He must have jumped out through one of the very slender openings for my emporer 280 on my acrylic tank!

I must admit I'm very depressed. I even picked up his dried body of the carpet and put him back in the tank hoping he would come back to life. Unfortunately he didn't....

I havn't had a fish jump out of my tank since I kept african cichlids way back in 93. I remember the day because I forgot and left the canopy open when I went to groceriey store and was gone for nearly an hour. When I got home one of my Red Zebra Malawian Africans was lying on the carpet dried up and covered in fibers. He looked dead, but since I didn't know how long he was out of water for I threw him back in the tank. Next thing I knew, I started to see bubbles rise up from his gills and he started breathing again!!! And hour later, he appeared to be completely normal as if nothing had happened.

I don't understand how this could have happened. The opening is only about an inch and a half wide on each side and was pre drilled into the top. And obviously he was out of water for way too long. Poor guy.... Crying or Very sad

Sad after all these photos and high hopes I had for this guy for something like this BS to happen. From now on I'm covering the openings on the top of that tank and when I get around to getting my 90-125, it wont matter because my Midas/Red Devil or whatever i choose to get will be too big to even think of jumping out.

Mods feel free to delete this thread. It's pretty pointless now.. Neutral
daint2003
Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that! I don't know why he was not happy with a very nice tank. I guess he saw something moving out of the tank such as mosquito or fly and jumped out to catch them.
Hope you will try another RD later.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm going to venture out today on a quest to find some juveniles. Rapps is always in the back of my mind but only for a barred midas.
Thanks for the concern tho. The mods can delete, or lock this thread as they see fit. I'd rather not be reminded of it actually.