Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  Fish Fighting for entertainment....

Toerag
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Dec 2005 Posts: 65 Location: North Alabama
As some of you know....I'm probably one of the oldest (if not the oldest) collector of large aggressive cichlids here.....I've been doing this for about 35 some odd years and have had zillions of big aggressive cichlids and met all kinds of folks....I've been to "fish fights" before, in the early to mid 70's....was a popular thing back then.....When I did go...I didn't know that's what was going to occur....I was led to believe that I could purchase great specimens at certain pet shops at very reasonable prices.
And, this was true.....the way it works, is these idiots make their bets, they take the two contestants, drop them into a neutral tank, they fight until the dominance has been proven, the loser loses his bet and his fish. Sometimes this occurs within minutes...sometimes it would take nearly an hour. Sad and cruel....My son and I would go and buy all the fish we could afford or had room for just to stop as much as we could. We even made a complaint to the local law enforcement agencies but they would basically reply with "Good grief, it's just damn fish?"....
Recently, a poster on several sites has been promoting this and bragging about the "joy" of having a tough fish.....I posted a reply to his initial thread and did not condemn his practice....and should have. For this I apologize and am going to delete my reply. Anyone that fights dogs, ***, fish....anything for entertainment is sadistic....My son fights (against my wishes) in the UFC....but, at least "humans" have the choice, animals are put into these situations unwillingly....I applaud our moderator here for locking the thread, and, the administration from the other boards this person has posted too....
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Wow Toerag! I thought I actually might be one of the oldest here. I'm 31 going on 32 this year and have never been to one of these fight's you mentioned but do remember being at a party back in HS (somewhere in the ghetto at someones place I didn't even know) where I saw a red devil go toe to toe with a Jaguar Cichlid in only a 60 gallon tank! Both fish were over 10 inches btw and were monsters to say the least.

It was about 10 of us up in this guys room when the competitor came in in a 5 gallon paint bucket!!! Surprised Anyhow he threw them the jag in with the red devil, it took about 15 minutes and the Jag put up a good fight but he was simply no match for the red devil on his home turf. I won't get into the nitty gritty details about what happened but I will say that the Jag had jaw ripped in two. His upper lip was floating on the surface and he suffered some serious damage to his pectorial fins.

The red devil didn't kill him but surely would have had they not agreed to take the jag out. I'm sure the jag will survive but he'll be spending the rest of his days crippled i'm sure. Yeah It was very sad. Especially being an animal lover like myself, it was hard to watch. I guess I just didn't want to appear like a wuss in front of everyone else.

For the most part I totally agree with you. It is just as sadistic as these gangmembers out here fighting pitbulls and male roosters. I love mean fish but even I feel bad when I see other fish being picked on to the point of death due either to stress and/or extensive body damage.

Off subject here, who is your son if you don't mind me askin? Although I'll totally understand if you don't wish to mention it. I'm a UFC fan myself, and was just wondering.
Toerag
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
My son is still considered semi pro...he's 26, he's 14-0 so far, nobody's gone a full round with him yet...but, that doesn't mean anything as far as I'm concerned...his time is coming I'm sure....LOL.....some guy named "SOMETHING Franklin?..I think, is wanting to sponsor him for the "big leagues"...guess we'll see what happens...he's into Muy Tai, Gracie Jujitsu and is the strongest human being I've ever met....weighs 189, benches about 400 something....fast as all hell.....(AND, still has normal ears and his nose is still where it's supposed to be for now)....LOL
He came home with another tatoo....some kind of chinese writing thinggies on his arm...I asked him what that said..."STUPID?"...He just kind of laughed and said back to me..."Well, at least I didn't have hair down to my waist and smoke tons of dope with the Allman brothers band in my youth?"......
Ozzy
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
I find it sad that in most parts of the world fish arent considered as pets yet and dont apply to animal cruelty laws Sad
Toerag
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly right Ozzy....it is sad...but, I guess they figure if people hook them it's no big deal?....Doubt it will ever change either..
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Very true. I'm sure when people think about this the first thing they say to themselves is..."Well isn't it also cruel to hook these fish out of the water, gut them, and throw them over an open grill to eat?"
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Toerag wrote:
My son is still considered semi pro...he's 26, he's 14-0 so far, nobody's gone a full round with him yet...but, that doesn't mean anything as far as I'm concerned...his time is coming I'm sure....LOL.....some guy named "SOMETHING Franklin?..I think, is wanting to sponsor him for the "big leagues"...guess we'll see what happens...he's into Muy Tai, Gracie Jujitsu and is the strongest human being I've ever met....weighs 189, benches about 400 something....fast as all hell.....(AND, still has normal ears and his nose is still where it's supposed to be for now)....LOL
He came home with another tatoo....some kind of chinese writing thinggies on his arm...I asked him what that said..."STUPID?"...He just kind of laughed and said back to me..."Well, at least I didn't have hair down to my waist and smoke tons of dope with the Allman brothers band in my youth?"......

LOL hey, nearly everyone has smoked dope in their lifetime. Aint no shame in that! Wink

Anyway, I wish your son the best Toerag. It's a brutal sport and I'm sure you and him know it.
suziqu1111
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 04 Jul 2006 Posts: 3 Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Wow, this thread just blew my mind. I mean I have been in petstores where some ignorant kid has put to bettas together in one of those little bowls, but it would have never crossed my mind to take my companion of 8 years, my daughter's beloved Angel Fish (ok, so he's named after the angel of death, since he killed every tank mate he ever had!) and let him duke it out with something that will hurt and perhaps kill him.

I will skin and eat a catfish pulled out of the lake as quick as the next gal, but someone had to raise those fish.... and for more than the 20 minutes it takes to pull them out of a nearby lake. I guess I just don't get it, and never will.