Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  will this work.

jaguar
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
i have recently got my hands on a ten inch male midas and a eight inch female midas. both came from the national zoo as in my native South Africa there is a bann on midas importing. needless to say this potentail pair is worth a fortune, so i am eager to breed them. the problem is that they are not a breeding pair and they were raised in a two thousand gallon tank. i have placed them in a two hundred gallon tank with a divider keeping them apart. the female laid eggs but the male did not fertilese them even though they were right next to the divider. this led to the female eating the eggs a week later. should i wait for her to lay eggs again and then allow the male acces to the eggs either by switching him and her around or by removing the devider and allowing him full accses to her and the eggs.
i
sebastian
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 308 Location: POLAND
if i were you i would remove the divider and watch what will be going on .i think that in such big tank you got hidding places and the male shouldn't kill the female

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 18
Hi jaguar!

Welcome to this midas forum! Why is there a bann on midas importing in south africa?

Greetings Ray
daint2003
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Jaguar,

It happens to any new pair. I call it "synchronising problem" that when the female lays eggs the male does not fertilise the eggs and when the male ready to do it (vent shows up big) the female does not lay eggs. Just leave them there, all you have to do now is wait until they get used together, as in my case, it is up to 4 months before I can see the first success breeding then everything is easily later. I also suggest you cut a hole on the divider that stops the male but the female can go thru.

You also can refer to a very useful breeding tips here (the best I have ever seen): http://forum.aquamojo.com/index.php?showtopic=7721

Hope this will help.
jaguar
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
A. trimaculatum Joined: 05 Apr 2006 Posts: 15 Location: johannesburg South Africa
localy there is a bann on most of the large preditory cichlids even the humble oscar was on this list at one stage. the reseason is that alot of our local waters are very good central american cichlid habitat and non of our local speices can match them in growth rate or aggresion.