Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  lighting for barred midas help!

boxhitter
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 69
hey everyone,
I have a pair of barred midas and i was woundering if i could use a different light to make theyr color come out? Iam using a powerglow light right now works great with the orange color morph. The power glow bulb has a blue hue to it. Can anyone help me out on a different bulb to use to get more color out of them and tell me the brand and ect. They are already in dark brown gravle. thanks guys and gals
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
A. lyonsi Joined: 14 Feb 2006 Posts: 154 Location: Los Angeles, California
Does lighting really make a difference as far as coloration? I always thought it had more to do with what you feed them. Confused

Anyhow, since you brought it up, I'm kinda curious myself since I might be getting a few Barred Midas from Jeff for my other tank sometime soon!
boxhitter
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:01 am Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 69
everything has do to with the color of your fish. the gravle, lighting, food, water con. genes everything!
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong tho, I always knew alot had to do with it, but for the most part, I always thought the majority of the factors that determine coloration is usually in the fish's genes and the varity of food you feed them.

On the subject of gravel tho, I am currently using a medium sized natural color gravel (see my thread for pics). When I upgrade to my 90 to a 100 gallon tank I'm seriuosly considering a very dark green. Would this be ok for Barred or even color Midas? I heard the worst you can do is have a "bright colored" substrate like white, yellow, or pink. Any truth to this?

Sorry I couldn't be of much help man. I'm learning alot more from you guys then I'm probably contributing to these forums tho. Confused
daint2003
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Saigon, Vietnam
I used dark brown gravels for the substrate, pearl blue paper for the background and a 20w/60 cm light bulb. They works fine with my color RD.
TenaciousTankBuster
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep that in mind, although I was actually thinking about getting a dark green and black gravel for my 90 or 100 gallon. My background (since I have an acryllic tank) is already painted on and it's black. I was going to get the blue but they were out.

Anyhow I hope someone can anwser BoxHitter's question.
Lets get back to topic...