Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Amphilophus (like Midas and Trimac) Talk  ~  need help

red_devil_man
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
A. labiatus Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 94
i just took my stunted red devil out the 75 and put it in the 29 gallon becuase its not like it needs alot of space at 5 inches.After that i took my reddevil that was in my 40 gallon and put it in the 75.How big do u think it would be in 2 months it is alrready 6 inches.I am also worried that it will kill my oscar becuase my stunted reddevil got along great with the oscar for a while.Is there a chance that they will be good pals.I also want to kno do i need another filter for my 75 gallon becuase it only has a penguin 350.
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
POTM Team Leader Joined: 16 Sep 2006 Posts: 172
Hi, nice to see you here!
First off let me see if I have this right, you currently (after the tank changes) Have one RD with an Oscar in a 75 gallon tank?

a stunted RD alone in a 29 gallon tank?

If I have this right you may end up with a couple of issues. Firstly an oscar alone is best in a 75 gallon tank. So adding a RD in there you may end up with bio load issues (poor water quality) Also being the tank is a little crunched for these two fish you may end up with aggression probs. Just keep your eye open for that, keep up with REALLY good water/gravel cleanings.

About the stunted RD, this isnt a good move, altho if I'm right it was the only move you could make. He will be ok in a 29 gallon FOR NOW. He will need at least a 40 gallon tank (preferably a 55 gallon)
Fish get stunted mainly for two reasons, one being tank is too small, second being mal-nurishment!
As long as you plan on getting the RD out of the 29 gallon into something larger fairly soon, you should be ok!

Do you test your water by any chance!
For ammonia, nitrItes and NitrAtes?

Hope that helps Smile

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
how do u test for nitrates
red_devil_man
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
thanks and should i get a magnum 250 pro
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
For what tank? The 75!

ok I take it you have no clue on ammonia nitrites and nitrates, this isnt my best fish subject but I will try to explain this as best as I can!

When starting up a tank you need to do a nitrogen cycle.

There are a few ways to do this. But since you already have your tanks up and running. I'll skip that part.

When you start a tank up, there will be ammonia (very toxic to fish), your ammonia will then turn to nitrItes also very toxic to fish, then the nitrItes turn to nitrAtes not so toxic if kept under the amount of 20ppm. The only way to keep nitrates under 20ppm is will good gravel vac and water changes on a regular basis.

To test for these you must buy a master test kit, you can get those online
at bigal.ca or .com also your local pet shop or fish supplier will have these, just tell them you need a kit that tests your water parameters (water levels)

Check your water regularly!

Also remember when you are cleaning your filters cartrages, do not run them under tap water.
Always rinse them off in the tank water you pulled out from a water change.

If you absolutly need to change the cartrages do it one at a time! There is benificial bacteria in your cartrages (that get there through the cycling process) that are extremly important to the tank, if you change them or run them under tap water you are going to start a mini cycle or a full cycle all over again and that can be dangerously toxic to fish!

I hope I explained that well for you, and I hope that helps:)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
Retired Admin Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 508 Location: Nicaragua
Quote:
offer the stunted one for adoption

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
There is always that option as well! If you cannot provide your fish with the proper size tank, then you should consider finding him a new home. Many lfs will do trades for fish. Not too many will take larger fish tho.

ask you lfs, or you could try posting it in our buy-sell-trade section. Someone might come around and see your post!

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
I think i willl,but i for got to tell u i bought a penguin powerhead that does gallons per hour and i cant belive how fast tha thinkg can flow
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
good:) Filtration is one of the most important things.

What do you think about getting a test kit?
Hope you do, its a useful thing. It helps you to determine if your tank needs a cleaning, also helps you regulate cleanings.
When you test for nitrAtes and you see that its nearing 20ppm, then you know..ok time to do a tank cleaning Smile

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
i thinknill buy a kit
red_devil_man
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
I never knoew that was important until now lol but ill buy one today at my local lfs.

I have another question how much aquarium salt should be put in a 75.I heard evry 5 gallons....but im confused .....are u supposed to put it in every 5 gallons to a certain extent or all the way to 75.
f1shyl0ver
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Hi again Smile

Dose 1tblspn per 5gal, pre-mix with some tank water and add slowly over a couple of hours.

so what you are going to do is get a large clean cup, or tupperware contained take out some of the tank water add 1 tblspn of salt mix up well add to tank, in an hour do the same again, next hour...the same again. * times you do this over the extent of 8 hours:)

If its the first time your fish have had salt you might want to only half dose the tank, they have never had the salty water befor. so 4 times, within 4 hours!
Is there a pleco in the tank? They have no scales it is said salt can hurt them, altho in a time needed I used salt in my tank with pleco (again half a dose)
I hope I explained that well