Amphilophus Forum and Midas Cichlid Forum Forum Index

<  Flower Horn Cichlid & Hybrids  ~  Flower horn humphead

Ace
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Im a new begginer in raising Flower horn. Can you give me tips how will my fh will have good head growth. I always dream to have one beautyfull fh that i can take care of. I know its expensive but i dont have money to buy good one here in the phillipines. hope you could help me. thanks and more power
Cichlidae
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Advice Team Joined: 21 Nov 2005 Posts: 71 Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
Well good food, good water quality are the base things you need to have. But the best way to get the hump to grow is to have two males, side by side in either two tanks or one large one divided, humps grow as a result of dominance, so having another male to size up makes them want to fight and show whos the more dominate but since they can never actually fight its a never ending cycle. Also genes do play a role, if the fishes parents didnt have a hump, or much of one then the young also might not, but since cichlids breed in the 1000's there is always exceptions

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
A. citrinellum Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 43 Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Great post Cichlidae, may I also add that the key to a happy and healthy flowerhorn is variety in the diet. Aquarium maintenance will essentially keep you specimen happy and healthy. There are truly numerous ways but ultimately it comes down to their genetic makeup like Cichlidae said. If the fishs' parents have the genes then your specimen will most definitely carry it also, but it is not always guaranteed. Like we say at FHUSA, when you breed FHs you only get around 5-10% that truly attain what you are looking for. I hope this helps some.

Marc